Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Good general lawn maintenence reading

basiclly im looking for how to books on the topics of this particular forum. dethatching, seeding,soil ammendments, etc.

any reccomendations?

thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Current articles from all different authors would be more useful than a particular author... But I enjoyed John Jeavons perspective on soil and plant nutriment and Mel Barthalomew's suare foot method... niether are about turf. but they are about plants and what helps plants thrive,,, i.e. the soil and how soil should be treat for the benefit of all plants...
If the book is mainly about the mechanics of lawns, then you're wasting your time with that book... I hear of people charging clients money to rip up the soil's protective layer of dead grass clippings and hauling it away... I've seen that written in a book too...
like scraping a barn in preparation for new paint,,, it is only a mechanical activity... plants and soils are dynamic living entities that become neglected when they are reduced to a process or a formula...