Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Sponsor

Carburetor Replacement (Trimmers)

Here at Russo, people are replacing their trimmer carbs and primer bulbs (mainly stihl and echo) left and right. What are some good tips to prevent early replacement and what typically goes wrong with them? Could most people fix them on their own?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you speaking of commercial or home owners or both.

The first step for avoiding small engine carburetor problems is to avoid the use of ethanol laced fuels--get straight gas if possible.

There is a website that lists stations that to sell straight gas--if I remember correctly, I think it's www.puregas.org. If not someone will correct the addy.

My suggestion is to run, then drain fuel and restart to run dry--on any equipment that is going to be idle for an extended period. Your mileage may vary.

Ethanol contributes to corrosion as well as leaving deposits. In addition, ethanol is a water attractor--as a result it absorbs moisture from the air.

Last edited by dutch1; 07-02-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty simple......don't ever ever replace a carb on echo equipment until you learn where to find the adjustment needles and turn a screw driver CCW to give more gas.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Pretty simple......don't ever ever replace a carb on echo equipment until you learn where to find the adjustment needles and turn a screw driver CCW to give more gas.
Exactly, most carbs are probably replaced for no reason other than lack of knowledge.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ed and Zturn, what you guys say is correct to a point. Like you say, Ed, I have found a few that an adjustment will correct the problem. On the other hand, there is no adjustment that can be made to overcome a varnish/crud blocked internal screen. I would guess that at least half of the problems I've encountered in the last 10 years have had that problem--in fact 4 out of 6 units in the last 2 weeks.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo Power Equipment View Post
Here at Russo, people are replacing their trimmer carbs and primer bulbs (mainly stihl and echo) left and right. What are some good tips to prevent early replacement and what typically goes wrong with them? Could most people fix them on their own?
Ive ordered from you fellers in the past.

Personally I think the reason people replace the carburators is anyone can do it and its usually cheaper than taking it to a shop.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ed,
Educate this old dog. On all 4 of my Stihl line trimmers, there is no adjustment needles on the carbs. Where is your secret place for them??
Let me know!!

Russo,
If you find this million dollar answer to your question, then we all will know. It would be nice to purchase ethanol free fuels, but not all locations is available.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What most of you all seem to have forgotten, or (more than likely) just plain didn't/don't know, is most of the cube type carbs have one or more non-replaceable check valves in em. When they go bad all the rebuild/G&D kits in the world ain't gonna help, nor will tweekin any screws.

......AMF!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why replace the whole carb when you can rebuild for about $10. Carb kits are cheap. I always use ethanol blended fuel because its all I can find around here. I just have to rebuild the carbs every so often and replace fuel lines. No big deal.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
The first step for avoiding small engine carburetor problems is to avoid the use of ethanol laced fuels--get straight gas if possible.

There is a website that lists stations that to sell straight gas--if I remember correctly, I think it's www.puregas.org. If not someone will correct the addy.

My suggestion is to run, then drain fuel and restart to run dry--on any equipment that is going to be idle for an extended period. Your mileage may vary.

Ethanol contributes to corrosion as well as leaving deposits. In addition, ethanol is a water attractor--as a result it absorbs moisture from the air.
Exactly! The website address is correct, too.
The only thing I'd add is ethanol will also deteriorate some rubber parts, like the tips on some jet needles and some fuel lines. Helps to replace fuel lines with Tygon or other ethanol resistant material.

Tags
carburetor , echo , issues , stihl , tips