Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Teaching the details to employees

How do you guys teach the importance of the details in our job? I seem to be on repeat.... Make sure to check weeds in beds .... Make sure corners are rounded off with trimmer where mower can't reach .... Watch out for scalping when lawn is bumpy.

My crew is very hard working and they don't complain. I'm not getting any major complaints from customers but I see some things that need improvement when check their work.

I'm pretty upfront and fair with them but at the same time I can't afford to lose them in the middle of the season.

I'm going to take the crew leader around today after work and drive by a few properties and show him what they are missing. Hoping he can get the message.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Its about like talking to kids. Peat and repeat over and over. Where are you located in nc?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
How do you guys teach the importance of the details in our job? I seem to be on repeat.... Make sure to check weeds in beds .... Make sure corners are rounded off with trimmer where mower can't reach .... Watch out for scalping when lawn is bumpy.

My crew is very hard working and they don't complain. I'm not getting any major complaints from customers but I see some things that need improvement when check their work.

I'm pretty upfront and fair with them but at the same time I can't afford to lose them in the middle of the season.

I'm going to take the crew leader around today after work and drive by a few properties and show him what they are missing. Hoping he can get the message.
I almost feel like it's based on their personality too. To them it's just work. Do X y and z for x amount of hours and get paid x. Nothing more, nothing less. I hired a part time helper this year and it's taking a while to teach him to pay attention to details. He's getting better but I guess he's just not as anal retentive about the "finishing details" as I am. I basically tried to make it as simple as I could...i said, "If it's grass and the mower didn't cut it, then it needs to be trimmed with the trimmer." Also, if you see "clumps" in the lawn or excess grass clippings, use the blower to disperse them. I also told him that he doesn't need to try to get close to everything with the mower because it takes more time than just touching up the hard to reach places with the trimmer later. keep the mower moving. I've stressed to him over and over that I'm trying to seperate myself grom every other LCO by doing a great job and I'm not just there to "mow the lawn" we're there to maintain their property.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnurseryman View Post
Its about like talking to kids. Peat and repeat over and over. Where are you located in nc?
I'm in Wilson about an hour east of you.

I'm finding a fine line I've straddled. On one side it's me working with a second guy to do all the work but staying small. On the other side is my separating myself from all the mowing to concentrate on marketing, book work, and lawn applications.

I'm realizing if I could find a guy who worked as hard as me and did all the little things he would be worth his weight in gold!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check up on half their sites this week. Write Down and take photos of missed work. On Thursday have a meeting with them at the end of the day and show some of the photos and written work.

Then make them fix it on a Saturday. If your guys are like mine, they don't like working the weekends.

Continue this until they fix the issues themselfs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Something similar to what seabee said, but I'm a firm believer in positive re-enforcement. After the meeting just remind them you will be checking up on random properties throughout the next few weeks. Meet again, after that, if they've improved a lot do something nice for them. Gift certs to the local coffee shop for the crew members, or something else small but shows you appreciate it. They will remember.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We had a recent guy (turned out to be my brother) that didn't like to line trim wide corners inside fences. The crew leader told me about his dissatisfaction about having to go back and touch up those areas.

I told the crew leader next time after he is sitin in the truck ready to go, make him get back out and do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnurseryman View Post
It a repeat thing

I try get them to trim by walking sideways so they see everything
I have notice when they walking inline of the areas they are trimming They are looking downward and they miss things You cant see under the siding.
When you walk sideway you can see under the siding. And trimming corners is easier this way to, I think.
Takes a lot practice
Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is unfortunate but true, in the passing years there spawned a generation that doesn't think like us old farts and at first glance these new kids strike me as spoiled brats who won't listen and have behavioral problems to boot, the unfortunate part is that won't fill the empty slots.

The disturbing facts state that only 30% of the Fortune 1000 companies in 2003 will remain on the list in 2013.

So is it my attitudes, do I have to accept less than desirable behaviors, is it necessary to make adjustments, and if so, how?

It is thus I found the following article of interest:
http://www.inc.com/brian-halligan/ho...-about-it.html