Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Eons ago, I mowed this rich Doctor's home. His wife hired me & paid me. Eventually she fired me-through the maid lady. Rather than tell me in person my services were not needed any more, She had her maid tell me that instead. It was insulting. Using text to fire LCO is insulting as well. You dont need clients like that, So move on to something better. I've had clients call many times and cancel & I'm fine with that.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Send him a bill for 50% charging him for the drive time for failing to notify you in a timely manner.
I would, except I also mow his next door neighbor, so I don't he would pay for it because "you were already there bla bla bla." Though that is a great idea which I will use in any other cases like that (which I hope to God doesn't happen again). Also, is losing 2 customers in 3 years about average or below average for you guys?

Plus, I want to know what I should be charging for 1/3 acre lot with about 10-15 minutes of trimming.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
I would, except I also mow his next door neighbor, so I don't he would pay for it because "you were already there bla bla bla." Though that is a great idea which I will use in any other cases like that (which I hope to God doesn't happen again). Also, is losing 2 customers in 3 years about average or below average for you guys?

Plus, I want to know what I should be charging for 1/3 acre lot with about 10-15 minutes of trimming.
$35 to $40
Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Sponsor

Unfortunately canceling by text message or email is the price everyone now pays for new technology. Business transactions can and will continue to become more impersonal in the future. Right or wrong this will continue.
The customer did in fact communicate with you and did cancel services with your company. You may not like the way she did but, you will get over this and other things like this in the future.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I probably will. But it is kind of insulting.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Regardless of technology.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
Yeah, I probably will. But it is kind of insulting.
When your in business for yourself you will need a broad set of shoulders to handle all situations. Man made and otherwise. Maintain your own standards, don't let your customers get to you personally. It's only business. Let these folks deal with their own lives on their own terms and time. Not yours.
Happy Independence Day.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've noticed also that over the years it seems to be the same ones that are slow pays and just general PIA customers that end up cancelling with no notice. Also there always seems to be a new car in the driveway just before they cancel, Hmmm?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a guy who hired me this year to cut a very large property in the country. Not only was it a bit of a drive, but it took a lot of time. I'm owed about $210 and when I didn't get paid the first month's statement, I phoned and emailed, but no response. Finally found out he and his family were renting and are gone now. He finally responded by email saying they would pay. That was about a week and a half ago, still nothing. I do have a signed work agreement and plan to take to small claims court if not resolved. That will be the first time in 13 years of business I've had to take that action. But my agreement says they are to pay court costs as well.

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
ExMark Phazer mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
People are not loyal to their lawn guy anymore. Soon as some ahole on a mower comes by and says I'll do it for half what your guy does, their gone. Since anybody who can afford and operate a mower can get in this business, this industry has been harder than ever to make it in.
Nor, are many contractors loyal to customers. LS is highly populated with posts about "... customer had a complaint ... drop 'em ... run away, not walk .... get out ...."

Most customers recognize more fully the business of "grass guy" than do the grass guys themselves. Yes, menial labor, no skill, not much talent, active body for a short time, very low entry cost, business will be short-lived, not a career path, .... blah, blah .... And, when we read numerous LS posts about how many LCOs feel about customers, we should not be surprised about reciprocity on attitude.