Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

what am I doing wrong?

I sodded with Tifgreen 328 about 4 months ago and it looked like this 3 weeks later.

I water every other day, its been mid 70- 80's all spring/ summer and mow weekly with a McClaine 20" with front roller.

I fertilized 1 month ago with 32-2-8 and now it looks like this

These are not scalp marks.

any ideas to get it healthy again?

ML
Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked for grubs? Maybe fungus? Idk much about problem with Bermuda
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first thought is too much shade, bermuda need's full time sun. 328 can't handle shade at all. What time of day do you water? How much water per week do you put down? What is the height of cut. What kind of soil do you have there?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
My first thought is too much shade, bermuda need's full time sun. 328 can't handle shade at all. What time of day do you water? How much water per week do you put down? What is the height of cut. What kind of soil do you have there?

Thanks

I water at 6 AM every other day for 15 minutes:
4 heads at 1.75 gallons/ minute about 365 gallons/ week
1/2" cut height
I tilled in 6+" of GPS-1 http://aguinagagreen.com/Mulch,_Comp...Amendment.html
prior to sodding

The parkway is in full sun all day long and looks a little better but still has the same pale green color.

ML
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How many square feet of grass are you watering? In your area code you have primarily sandy soil, water go's right through that, i'll bet that's why you tilled in that GPS. I know in southern CA. water is a precious commodity and expensive, but 328 bermuda, ideally, need's 1/2 inch a week. Watering at 6 a.m. is the best time to water, keep that up. Keep mowing at 1/2" with a reel mower when the grass is dry. Consider mowing at 5/8".

I say shade because in your second picture i see two white spot's that are close to a shady area. It only take's a few hour's of shade to really stop bermuda from growing.

Don't forget, when you got that sod it was juiced up to the max with nitrogen from the sod farm. Hybrid bermuda, like 328, need's 3/4 - 1 Lb. of nitrogen a month from April to September, that might be why you see light green. Again, in sandy soil, fertilzer doesn't hang around long. Alway's water fertilizer in.

Compaction can be a real problem, do you have dog's or kid's? Root feeding insect's can be a problem. Make a 36" x 36" square out of 2 x 4's and pour two gallon's of water mixed with two tablespoon's of liquid dish detergent inside that frame on the grass, wait one hour, the detergent will irritate any insect's and bring them to the surface, identify and count the number of insect's inside the frame. Find out the threshold for insect's in one square yard of warm season turf for your area and this will let you know if you have a root feeding insect problem. Bermuda hardly ever has fungus problem's, dollar spot can show up, but usually, if you have proper fertility, this is not a problem. If you have any other question's, just ask. Good luck

A link for you - http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...902511912.html
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is one development here where the bermuda takes 2x the recommended N to look good. Soil tests never show anything unusual. N source doesn't seem to affect it either, just wants 2 lbs/1000 per month. Might try a spot and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks I will try that .

This is the front yard and is only about 400 SF. I was thinking the brown spots in the pictures were from too much fertilizer that burned the grass. I will make sure it gets watered in.

ML