Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Fuel stabilizer questions

1. Do I need fuel stabilizer if I use the gasoline within a month? I buy Sinclair or Valero 89 octane with NO ethanol.

2. For winter storage I drain the tank and the carb on my Honda mower and use the gasoline in my truck. I keep none in the gas can over the winter. My off season is less than 90 days as I use the mower for picking up leaves. Is a carb better off dry for this period or with stabilized fuel setting in it?

Thank in advance!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Growing up in Buffalo we left everything fully fueled in off season. Boats, chippers, snowmobiles, dirtbikes, mowers. All the same. Gas has about a 6 month shelf life. Give the two strokes a shake before starting in case the oil seperated out. Draining will just lead to gum and varnish forming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We leave them all ful and put fuel stabilizer in it but we shut off the fuel line and run that dry
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmac86 View Post
1. Do I need fuel stabilizer if I use the gasoline within a month? I buy Sinclair or Valero 89 octane with NO ethanol.

2. For winter storage I drain the tank and the carb on my Honda mower and use the gasoline in my truck. I keep none in the gas can over the winter. My off season is less than 90 days as I use the mower for picking up leaves. Is a carb better off dry for this period or with stabilized fuel setting in it?

Thank in advance!
Gasoline used within a month is fine. Hopefully, it has not been sitting in the tank at the gas station for weeks or months...

I had hellish times with Honda engines because of carb problems. And small Honda engines are famous for carb problems (look up Honda generators). Keep it dry and to put even more chance on your side, add an ounce of Sta-Bil Marine to a 5 gal container and use that gasoline in the mower during the last few weeks before putting it away. Do not leave gasoline in the tank.

I have a generator in case of an extended blackout and I keep 25 gal of gasoline year round. Right after buying the gasoline, I add 1 ounce of Stabil Marine and then keep that gasoline for one year.

Since I don't go thru so much gasoline per Summer, I also add 1 ounce of StaBil per 10 gal for every day use. I buy a 32oz container at Walmart for about $20. And I can treat 320 gal for every day use. I use 87 octane gas.