Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Company taking over area

There is this company in my area who is spreading like the plague. They are taking over other companies accounts ., not mind yet but very nervous. How can I still grow with this company taking over most of the area. I am not sure how they get the business, they don't even advertise.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What would be funny if somebody else from your area posted a thread about how fast they were growing.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Specialize in what you do the best. Find your niche and go for it head first. If you get well known for something good word will spread fast.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the you see the Soprano's episode where Paulie and Feech Lamanna get involved in the local lawncare biz? I'd say this is what's happening.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Did the you see the Soprano's episode where Paulie and Feech Lamanna get involved in the local lawncare biz? I'd say this is what's happening.
Probaly right being in New Jersey lol. I love that episode it makes me wish I was Itailian and in the mafia.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
There is this company in my area who is spreading like the plague. They are taking over other companies accounts ., not mind yet but very nervous. How can I still grow with this company taking over most of the area. I am not sure how they get the business, they don't even advertise.
Are they doing good work?

If so its going to be tough. A lot of our work is word of mouth, when property managers talk about you at their meetings ...............good things happen.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do what I did, turn out better work cheaper and keep doing that, no turning back.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
If you keep stressing out about these "larger LCO's" taking over with their shiny trucks/equipment you're going to give yourself an aneurysm . Keep doing what you are doing, market your service area and go the extra mile for your current customers and they will spread the word about your work which is the best advertising you can have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Second favorite episode, right behind Joe Pantoliono getting sprayed in the face with raid
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't worry about them. When you say taking over. They are shutting others down because they buy them out or they take all the business so the others close doors. Ill be honest a lot of people don't like big company's because they don't do personal very well. They always send you to someone else. My home town is where the biggest LCO in the south east is located. I bid against them on every commercial account I'm approached on. I took 190k worth of work from them from 3 commercial management company's that they where not happy with there none personal attitude.
Also find your niche I have decent size LCO and we are known for sod work. We actually charge more then most but with our reputation we can. We also have the local sod distributor, and two nurcery send us work daily. Not because the get a cut back but we are loyal to them and they know we do good work. Build your relationships always be friendly and do what you say you are going todo. You'll be fine
Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Although many don't care who mows their lawn, many DO.

I was recently hired by someone to maintain a property that really should be handled by a crew of three to be efficient. I told him as much and really tried to talk myself OUT of the job initially. After talking for a while he convinced me to take them on as a client. They didn't want a "crew", or random employees wandering around - they wanted ONE reliable person that they trusted.

I guess if the number of potential clients in your area is small you can worry a little, but otherwise, there are plenty of customers out there.