Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
I have been dealing with this issue except I only want to hire the BEST employees. The BEST employees already have jobs with other companies. You have to steal them. I stole 3 guys this week from other companies. Its hard, you have to do leg work, but it is worth it. It is really funny to me... when I stole these guys from other companies... they interviewed me... they wanted to make sure that their work environment was an improvement and the jobs they would be doing would be unique. Out of the 3 employees, I hired... two took a pay cut to work for me and I matched one guy's hourly rate. Its not all about money, sometimes its about treating people fairly and the quality work you do. Employees want to be a part of something great and unique.
Now we are on the same page! Thats all I do. The way i see it, if a person isnt working during the busy season its for a reason.......they arent very good!
I take all my crew leaders from other companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
Now we are on the same page! Thats all I do. The way i see it, if a person isnt working during the busy season its for a reason.......they arent very good!
I take all my crew leaders from other companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ha! Great minds think alike! Too bad I just realized this!

I have been amazed at how bad some companies treat their employees. A lot of them are just looking to be treated like a human being and not a slave. And I am amazed at how some of the really really good employees care more about the job they do and the environment than the money... within reason.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea most companies treat them pretty bad. I dont believe thats good for business. An unhappy employee isnt very productive and is wreck less. I treat my guys with respect and pay them a good salary (or a salary they deserve) .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you go about finding employees that are working for other companies? Do you feel like it is kind of a low blow?

Our Facebook Page

A goal properly set is halfway reached - - Zig Ziglar
Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt spinniken View Post
How do you go about finding employees that are working for other companies? Do you feel like it is kind of a low blow?
I meet them at the nursery, I have seen them out working etc. I hear about them from my suppliers. Sometimes my employees scout them out, and they know what kind of work standard they need to have and that they need to be good people.

I am not in this business to make friends. If you think someone would not do the same to you, I think you might be wrong.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt spinniken View Post
I know a lot of people in the trade. Which helps a lot because i can hand pick my guys. I know the guy i am about to hire is really good before i even hire him. My current employees have hundreds of friends in the field and they do my recruiting. They know who is really good and who isnt.
Is it a low blow what i do? I dont think so. Im not a greedy person, i have slightly lower profit margins just so i can pay my employees more. When you have a family to feed and a guy offers you $2hr more and a better work environment of course you are going to take the job.
People think im crazy for paying what i pay for employees. Im not, its more expensive to have to babysit employees and to have unhappy customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! I will definitely look into all of these ideas.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Golf courses are good places. Many times they get off early 1-2 days a week.

I've found a few good guys on Craigslist. My current guy is young and a very hard worker. My only complaint is his attention to detail. At this point in the season I'm just trying to finish it out. I will have a decision to make. Keep him at crew leader or keep him on the crew and hire a crew leader.

Tags
crew , employees , hiring , ideas , jobs