Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had to be constantly conscious of my plumbers/landscapers crack. I am always thinking I need to pull up my pants or pull my shirt down.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
So they kept asking when we were going to start and kept getting pushed back because of the rain. I finally told him a day we were starting and then he said he could take some vacation day to be there while we work. I didn't think much of it since I actually like when the customer is around so I can ask questions when we need to. They are close to sixty or in there sixties.

So yesterday we started shoveling out the rock around the house, jack hammering out all the concrete patio and walls, and plantings. In the all day he was standing and watching us working. Pretty much over my shoulder the whole morning and afternoon. He only went inside when we went to lunch. Then his wife gets home at 3 or 4:00 and they both get out lawn chairs to sit and watch us with a drink in there hand.

He isn't telling us how to do the job but is just so crazy they have to watch every second of us working. I know I like to watch the construction process but we have only be taking things out so far.

Also the neighbors across the street had their lawn chairs out in the driveway watching too.

Have any of you dealt with this before? I have had older people watch for short amounts of time but not the entire day. This is going to be a long 2 weeks if he keeps this up.
He probably went inside to tell his wife that all this work would have taken him 2 months and he is so happy they get to spend some quality time together..
Old 07-05-2013, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
These people are putting food on your table. I would NOT use the "insurance" line.

They have probably saved hard for this project and are probably very excited. Just like watching a baby be born.

Be nice to them. They may have a lotta friends at church and will be sending more work your way. It's only a few days of your life, you'll live.

We did a job about a month ago. I swear, and this is no exaggeration, that they lady must have taken at least 500 pictures of us, and at least 4 hrs of video. We were only there for 4 days. At the end of the 2nd day I started to wonder if we were on some type of undercover Dateline investigation. The flash was constantly going off through the house windows. By the 3rd day it was really really irking my nerves. I could not scratch my b-lls, or pick my nose, because I never knew if the camera was on me. And I had to keep checking my hair in the mirror to make sure it wasn't out of place.

I kept quiet. Smiled. And collected my checks. That's why I was there. For the checks.
I stopped reading this thread when I read this post.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
These people are putting food on your table. I would NOT use the "insurance" line.
The only reason I mention this is because I've heard horror stories of home owners who let stupidity take over when watching contractors. I personally saw last year in a neighborhood we were working a family was getting a new driveway paved, they were out with their two young boys watching all day, chatting with the contractor when after a while one of the boys runs and puts his hands in the fresh hot asphalt. It got really ugly after that.

A contractor does need to remember no matter how nice or helpful anyone on a job site is, they are a liability.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Watching from 5' away, maybe no good.

Watching from 20-30' - not bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had it happen before, and depending on the situation I will ask politely for them to watch from inside...

or give them ear plugs, safety glasses, a hard hat, dust mask, orange vest and ask that they wear all the provided safety gear plus safety toe boots and long pants if they feel that they need to be outside watching up close the whole time... they usually get the idea pretty quick.

I honestly prefer customers that if they are going to watch/try to micro-manage the project stay outside, rather than the "pop out for a minute" type.

I've had the bejesus scared out of me before while cutting when a customer came out her door and tapped me on the shoulder to ask me something ... I just about cut off my foot.

My best install customer was great... he was retired and always at home, but wanted to be surprised and not see a thing until it was finished... he would call me and I would have to come inside to talk to him if he needed something. The blinds were closed the entire 2 weeks of the project.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a guy that sat on his deck and watched us 10 hours a day for 2 weeks. Had my helper load his ipod with the hardest death metal he could find to hopefully chase back in the house. Nope sat right through ALL DAY
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same problem after every job when I am going to the bank with the check.... The people at the bank just sit there and are looking at me everytime!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Well they weren't watch all day today but a bunch of neighbors stopped by to see what was going on. There was about 9 of them at one point watch us dig for a hour or so. Felt like everything was moving in slow motion.

They don't get real close so its not a hazard. They like to talk though and when I work I don't like to talk and stay focused. This town has a population of about 2-400 people so this is big excitement.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
Well they weren't watch all day today but a bunch of neighbors stopped by to see what was going on. There was about 9 of them at one point watch us dig for a hour or so. Felt like everything was moving in slow motion.

They don't get real close so its not a hazard. They like to talk though and when I work I don't like to talk and stay focused. This town has a population of about 2-400 people so this is big excitement.
Are you always aggregated to talk to potential customers?
Posted via Mobile Device