Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Some people gotta have the lights off.

Me, I like the lights on.

Be proud and let em watch.

.that is, unless you don't know what you're doing......

Posted via Mobile Device
Or you get into the situation where you know what you're doing, but Mr. Murphy stops by and it all goes to pot.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

They are most definitely excited about the project. They tell everyone how nice its going to be when its done and how great of a job we are doing. We got cookies fresh out of the oven yesterday. They are very nice people and good to work for.

Almost all of our jobs this year the home owners have been home while we were there. Its always nice to be able to ask questions while we are working rather than at the end of the day when things are already done.

If they are watching, I like to explain what we are doing and why we do it the way we do. Today I had to grind some of the wall blocks to make the next course sit flat since they can vary a 1/16 to 1/8" in height and they were impressed that we took the time to do that.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like you are handling the situation just fine there Red Shed...... And I completely agree, if folks are talking or getting in the way, micro managing... this can be trying and must be dealt with... However, I will never understand why some guys(most of the people that posted previously) get sooooooooooooooooooooo irritated by THE HOME OWNER (as in, it's their home, their money, THEY hired you) watching... Here is a question WHO CARES? We are there to do work and get paid, the homeowners could set up a circus with animals and sell refreshment and us working will be the main attraction for all I care, I am there to work and get paid! It sure is a shame that some owners/foreman/workers are so socially inept. I mean, come on! People saying that they go to homes when they know the people are out?!?! What is that? What are you guys so AFRAID of? Again, Red Shed.... I know this is not you due to your comments but since so many of these guys have posted I have to speak up......
Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of you really need to drink more
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't mind a quick drop in. I actually like it since it builds the relationship. Recently had a nice enough older guy that bought the whole crew lunch both days. My only complaint was that he was slightly forgetful and we had discussed how things would be done etc and he would forget and ask. He was accepting after being reminded and shown the contract.

One thing that bugged me was that he called me and my dad saying that the guys ran out of block and that we needed more. Luckily i didnt get the vmail until i got to the job. We had enough block. If i bought more i would have been pissed.
Posted via Mobile Device