Register free!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Time prep for jobs.

Installs and re-designs...

I am under the strong feeling that if you are going into a job 1 person should investigate all aspects of the job..Usually the seller..Meaning, locate the site utilities, septic systems, secondary power and gas lines.. Also flag the jobs..

Yes I understand this can't always happen but if I were the boss and I had an install foreman ONJ I would make sure all the obstacles that kill time on a job are found located and a plan devised to get around...

Thoughts>
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Utility locates should be called for ASAP once the contract is signed.

The onsite obsticals located and the system flagged after the one call response.

Whie the crew is unloading equipment, the foreman should walk the site looking for potential conflicts.

Sounds time consuming but minimum damage may be the end result. That's a good thing.

Nice topic
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I learned if you write up an estimate, at least write up a general idea of what is needed like 10 12" pop ups or anything that you might not have enough of on the truck. Whats happened to me is I will write something up have our office submit it and then it comes back, weeks later, and exact details are fuzzy memories. The other thing is people who have little irrigation repair/installation experience picking up parts/ bidding jobs. I had a salesperson in our company bid head replacements by what they thought the lawn had, they never turned the system on! Or flat rate bidding irrigation systems using google earth and never setting foot on the property even to take a pressure reading. The 7 p's?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

txirrigation should be a good resource for this question.

I have found that as the foreman for my jobs, I have to be the designer as well. I don't understand how it is efficient for the foreman to go into a job "blind" in regards to the design. In the flagging/design process I try to work out any confusion ahead of time so that when my guys show up to the site all we do is work and there is no down time trying to figure out any of the design questions. Thats why I don't understand how you can have a foreman that isnt involved in the design process.

I know having a separate designer and foreman works, but am not sure how it works efficiently. Hopefully tx will give some insight.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think its a result of not cosigning bullsh!t
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr4au View Post
I know having a separate designer and foreman works, but am not sure how it works efficiently.
A set of comprehensive plans and a foreman who can read them and make on-the-fly changes as the need arises.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
A set of comprehensive plans and a foreman who can read them and make on-the-fly changes as the need arises.
"Designs" generally get thrown out the window after the job starts, a competent foreman should be on his feet to anticipate changes (within budget) or call for extras.