Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hiring ex brinkman supervisor

I have an I review with a potential employee. He was a supervisor on a crew for brinkman and said he was laid off after 3 years. He had a crew of 3-4.

I spoke with him over the phone today and I almost felt like I was being interviewed. He asked a lot about my company and what I did. Was well versed in our terms and mentioned round up, 3 way, and demision.

I have a position open for a crew member. I have a crew leader but he is young and doesn't have lots of experience. So if he's good I see no reason why he couldn't run a crew at some point.

Based on who he worked for is this someone I should snatch up? Any idea what his hourly wage should be if he was a supervisor? I normally start at $9/hr and increase based on performance.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you mean brickman? I would probably hire him see how he works out, I would think in your area a supervisor for a landscape company is probably getting 14-15 an hour. call a bigger company and ask them i'm sure they would share it with you.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry about the company, there is good and bad apples with any company.

I can tell you in the Raleigh area that crew leaders are getting paid 12-15 / hr on average. A lot of medium to bigger companies pay you salary so they can rip you off with overtime, but it still works out to that amount per hr.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They must have fired him for something serious, after 3 years. Brickman typically does not lay supervisors off in the middle of the season.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I interviewed him the. Other day and offered him the position. It's a step back from supervisor but hope it works out.

I have never seen them doing work my way. He said they had one 225 acre pharmicutical plant here that he did. Then would drive 40 minutes to help out when they got behind in a bigger city.

It sounds fishy but he knew the words we use and about different equipment. Crape myrtles also came up in talking and he described how he did it. What he described was the proper methods...cutting crossing limbs and thinning out rather than "murdering" them.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

why not ask for a reference from brickman???