Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Heat exhaustion

I'm new to the business and decided that I was going to wear jeans today to look more professional. After walking behind a mower for a few hours and not drinking enough water before I started working in the 104 degree heat index I started feeling symptoms of what I can only guess was heat exhaustion. I felt like I was going to throw up and got a little dizzy. My mouth was dry and I felt weak. I had to stop and go sit in my truck for a few minutes and didn't have any water with me.

I suppose I better start hydrating more. I only had coffee and no food before I started because I was in a hurry.

Maybe working mostly in an office the past few years has just made me soft, lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Heat exhaustion

That's not good, heat exhaustion and dehydration is nothing to mess around with. You always need a couple gallons of water with you for sure!!
22" John Deere JS60
Stihl FS90R
Stihl KM130R
Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
4HP Craftsman walk behind edger
6X12 utility trailer
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithMowers View Post
I'm new to the business and decided that I was going to wear jeans today to look more professional. After walking behind a mower for a few hours and not drinking enough water before I started working in the 104 degree heat index I started feeling symptoms of what I can only guess was heat exhaustion. I felt like I was going to throw up and got a little dizzy. My mouth was dry and I felt weak. I had to stop and go sit in my truck for a few minutes and didn't have any water with me.

I suppose I better start hydrating more. I only had coffee and no food before I started because I was in a hurry.

Maybe working mostly in an office the past few years has just made me soft, lol.
Not to mention that coffee alone dehydrates you! I usually drink a couple of cups of water before drinking coffee.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your Body's Many Cries For Water, F. Batmanghelidj

Read it.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have an app on my phone to remind me to drink.

No, wait. That's just my wife texting me to remind me to drink enough.

All. Day. Long.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I definitely learned my lesson today. We have 11 yards to cut tomorrow with our walk behinds and will be loaded down with water and powerade.

And I am a reader so I will definitely check that out. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep...here in west texas its not uncommon for the triple digit temps to show up. I have to mow during the day because my full time job is on the nightshift, so im out there during the heat of the day. I always wear jeans and a white or grey tshirt, and bring plenty of water. hard to explain, but you have to pace yourself and drink on a regular basis without drinking too much at one time. I switch between lots of water, and I also like bringing a gallon of iced tea with me...but you have to drink the iced tea sparingly.

I always wear a hat too.

good luck.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Yep...here in west texas its not uncommon for the triple digit temps to show up. I have to mow during the day because my full time job is on the nightshift, so im out there during the heat of the day. I always wear jeans and a white or grey tshirt, and bring plenty of water. hard to explain, but you have to pace yourself and drink on a regular basis without drinking too much at one time. I switch between lots of water, and I also like bringing a gallon of iced tea with me...but you have to drink the iced tea sparingly.

I always wear a hat too.

good luck.
I used to drink ice tea but found out that Ice tea is a major cause of Kidney stones. Also contains caffeine. I just bring ice water.
Always take time to eat breakfast and then I bring a insulated 2 gallon jug of ice water(to the OP) and pack a light lunch
Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Problem is not the jeans. I like my legs protected and clean.

Problem is you are never late. So eat breakfast. Never heard of a landscaper losing a customer because he started his day a half hour late.

I bring three glass quart milk bottles in a cooler. I drink on the way to my first stop. During. Then on the drive to my next stop to stay hydrated.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you go all day without peeing you didn't drink enough water. Some real hot days in might take over 2 gallon to keep you going. This year in Bamaland hasn't been too bad yet, but temps in the mid 90s are expected next week