Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Help! Air Filter Replacement

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I just called my local Hustler dealer for pricing on an Air Filter for a 23hp Kaw. Z (8yrs old).....he said the inner is $x and the outer is $y. I replaced the original filter once before and it did not have an inner/outer combo on the filter or did I have inner/outer on the replacement filter??? He stuck to his guns and said you need both. Here's where it gets even more interesting, the Kaw manual shows some sort of foam slip on over the paper element, but the Hustler manual calls for a Donaldson filter (part 785261) which has no slip over outer element. Can someone tell me which is correct and maybe even a link to the correct filter.
thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

I would get the best air filtration system available. I would need more numbers of your machine and engine to tell you what was stock for your machine.

Brian O
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

If your system has a pre-filter (foam slip over), they are very cheap. I keep several of them and change them every couple of weeks washing the one I replace. They are to cheap not to do this and you will see a big improvement in the life of your paper filter.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Help! Air Filter Replacement

I bet they came single, double and with the pre filter.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have Donaldson system or Kawasaki system? Picture would tell us what we need to know.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
Do you have Donaldson system or Kawasaki system? Picture would tell us what we need to know.
Kaw engine, Donaldson Air Filter in manual. Large cannister filter, no inner was removed.

I am beginnig to think this was an engineering change AFTER my model.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Eight years old puts you about 2005, 2005 IIRC used only the outer. Putting an inner on it will make it run rich, restricting more air. kawasaki used different jets on each cylinder to account for the difference in runner length. The new FX series engines have gone back to an inner and outer. I was concerned that you did'nt have the cannister filter (older units did'nt) because there is a filter for internally vented carbs and externally vented carbs. Mess them up and your engine won't be happy. That's not a concern with the cannister style filter.