Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this a good decision? Need help quick

I have my own little business just doing a couple lawns and i purchased a used rider mower not too long ago. It's a craftsman 15.5 hp 42" deck. Good condition and clean.

So i'm looking to get a walk behind because it's easier to make lines and more efficient i think. I had someone call me about my mower asking to buy it out-right, which i cannot because i mow weekly. The guy said that he is interested in my mower so he's willing to help me locate a walk behind. Basically so he can buy mine and i can have the walk behind lined up already to buy. I take the money i get from my mower and put it directly into the walk behind while adding "x" amount of money myself.
He called me again today and said that he was looking last night at some but there a few where he is (nj).

I did find one today though since he called me back (twice today) i know he's quite interested.

So here it is. Bunton 48". Older model but i don't really care. Kohler motor it looks to be. Fresh tune up (belts, oil filter, oil, fuel filter, spark plug etc) and has a striper kit on it. Runs and cuts good he says. He just can't walk that well anymore with it and he's got a bunch of other toys so that's why it's up for sale.

Needs paint freshening but that's no problem at all for me.

Here's mine.

The guy said he'll pay 300 for it. (I bought it for 225)

And the bunton guy says he'll take 500 for it. It's up for 600.

So i need some help basically wondering if the price is good on the bunton or could i offer like 450 for it? Please any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We bought one identical to that bunton for 200 at an auction , I'd trade even or walk
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

yea it looks a little rough but being told that it runs smooth and just had that full tune up makes me kind of interested in it. :/

I did find a scag the guy was asking 500 for it and it needs a lot like one of the front castor wheels. Pull cord recoil. Oil change. It's spray painted black for some reason with a honda motor motor replaced because the old one blew.
Not even worth close to 500.

I'm still looking though but i'm still a little interested in that bunton. I like that it has a striper kit on it too. Really all i want is something that runs and cuts smooth. I can paint and freshen the metal up. Mechanical condition is my only worry and want
Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Well just aks yourself if you would pay $500 for that thing? Take the trade $ part out of the equation.

Your influencer is the person who wants your Craftsman. Don't rely on his judgement to be good or in your best interest.

I would get a 15 year old used belt -drive 48" mower in Oregon for around $300.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I can't get one for any cheaper really around here that runs and cuts as is. I found another Bunton for 500 that runs and everything but the blade wont engage. other than that it's all up near 700-900 for a used one that at least runs good.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have two lawns. You do not need to buy or trade your junk to get someone else's junk.

Not having strips is not the end of the world.

Take the money you make and save till you have the money to pay cash.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at the bone yard that mower is in. Forget the story they guy is giving up mowing because of his legs. Looks like auction purchases from rental companies based on the id on some of the equipment.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
You have two lawns. You do not need to buy or trade your junk to get someone else's junk.

Not having strips is not the end of the world.

Take the money you make and save till you have the money to pay cash.

I'm with him.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

i have 8 lawns as of right now. sorry if it was mistaken cause i said a few but most landscapers do that many lawns in one afternoon so it's not really that much comparing to them. 4 lawns take me almost 3 hours or more. I just want a walk behind cause to me it's easier really cause you can turn easier. Go faster and it looks better.
I'm still looking besides that one cause it's rough but either way i'm probably still gonna sell my rider when i choose to get a walk behind. I'm only interested in it cause it's around the price i would look to spend whether cash or trade in of mine. I would only be paying 150 out of pocket unless i could get him down or the guy buying mine to go up a little bit.

I appreciate the quick responses and opinions everyone. Don't hold back from saying anything

Last edited by TJW_692; 07-07-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Take a look at the bone yard that mower is in. Forget the story they guy is giving up mowing because of his legs. Looks like auction purchases from rental companies based on the id on some of the equipment.
Yea some of those things are pretty random there, like that stroller.
The guy did sound like he's been smoking for 50 years haha