Register free!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

one more thing, it doesn't matter where it's bought from, you have to be licensed to apply ANY herbicide, pesticide or fungicide on anyone else's property in N.C. I know a lot of people do it, but... just sayin'
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedturf View Post
one more thing, it doesn't matter where it's bought from, you have to be licensed to apply ANY herbicide, pesticide or fungicide on anyone else's property in N.C. I know a lot of people do it, but... just sayin'
Just clarifying. PESTICIDES are ( insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, termiticides, nemiticides etc.)
Old 07-13-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
I'll bet by saying no fertilizer he means no N. He probably doesn't realize fertilizer comes without N and that fertilizer is a multitude of nutrients. Not a single nutrient. From the described beat up the turf took. Research the nutrients, P & K. I think you'll find the nutritional values they provide would speed up recovery similar to a person taking vitamins when trying to recover from a sickness. I don't think if you were trying to get over a sickness your Dr. would say now's not a good time for vitamins. But then again, who knows.
These were my first immediate thoughts when he told me that over the phone. I asked him what if the fertilizer didn't include nitrogen and he repeated ANY fertilizer. I know some people around here in NC can be hasty when making judgement calls, perhaps this is the case, but I'm not sure. Phosphorous moves so slowly through the soil that I doubt it would have a chance to burn roots like how Nitrogen does. I'm learning this stuff still myself so I appreciate any information.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorsaur View Post
These were my first immediate thoughts when he told me that over the phone. I asked him what if the fertilizer didn't include nitrogen and he repeated ANY fertilizer. I know some people around here in NC can be hasty when making judgement calls, perhaps this is the case, but I'm not sure. Phosphorous moves so slowly through the soil that I doubt it would have a chance to burn roots like how Nitrogen does. I'm learning this stuff still myself so I appreciate any information.
Diammonium phosphate will be readily available to start repairing the root tissue and start building root structure. If the root system can repair. The plant has the likelihood of survival recovery. It will just need the nutrient nature designed for it.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

All nutrient, weed control and fungicide recommendations you receive from here aside. Your customer needs someone who is licensed and professional to take care of his lawn when it comes to applications. It will protect you and him. He doesn't want anything else bad to happen to his landscape and you don't want to be involved in a lawsuit without proper credentials. If he doesn't want to get mixed up with a national company, then don't. Get a locally owned and operated company that gives personal attention and quality service. That could be you some day but you need to learn more(you can do some of that here) and take the test and get your license so if something bad were to happen, you'd at least have a leg to stand on.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ted rang in the most sensible aspect of correcting your issue.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Diammonium phosphate will be readily available to start repairing the root tissue and start building root structure. If the root system can repair. The plant has the likelihood of survival recovery. It will just need the nutrient nature designed for it.
Yeah DAP is the standard phosphate fertilizer... Apparently it is the salts in fertilizer that can cause burn to the roots. I'm wondering if something like rock phosphate would be an applicable fertilizer in Summer for tall fescue given that A) it moves through the soil so slowly and B) it is an organic source of fertilizer.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorsaur View Post
Yeah DAP is the standard phosphate fertilizer... Apparently it is the salts in fertilizer that can cause burn to the roots. I'm wondering if something like rock phosphate would be an applicable fertilizer in Summer for tall fescue given that A) it moves through the soil so slowly and B) it is an organic source of fertilizer.
My guess would be that 1/2 rates or 1/3 rates at 20 day intervals would be safe. But tall fescue is not my specialty. I don't want to ill advise. Feedback is absorbed.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just let it dry out from all the rain and keep cutting at the right height and intervals and it will recover on it's own.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

On another note for the original poster, I have to second what tattooedturf said about it being brown patch fungus, that's what it looks like to me, and you can be sure of it if there were extended wet periods on the turf. This is the turf disease that tall fescue it notably susceptible to.