Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ride on Spreader-Sprayer

We have a fairly successful plant health care division of our landscaping company and have since the beginning used a two man system--one pushing spreader and one spraying. This worked because we didn't have a high volume of PHC clients as we limited our PHC services to only those clients who purchased or regular landscape maintenance services--we wanted to control all the variables--water, mowing, weed control, fertility etc. Now we are expanding our business and see the easy up-scaling aspect of our PHC services. I also am short handed and really would like to only have to use one applicator--days get really long when you push spreader and lug hose.

So I m in the beginning stages of research to look at a ride on spreader/sprayer unit.

In past lives I have experience with the older two generations of the permagreen and the old generation of the CS turf stealth unit (before it was stealthy). I wasn't in love with either of them--of the two I would choose the permagreen. I have a friend/competitor in town who has all three generations and he really isn't in love with the Triumph model.

We fertilize a wide variety of properties--all granular fertilizers, and mostly spot treatment of weeds unless it is a new to us client. Most of our clients have elaborate landscapes that I would be hesitant to spray around with a machine (close quarters, wind drift w/ low volume spray etc)

Average property size 17K to 20K square feet with a several over the acre mark.

Maneuverability, ease of load/unload, hill stability (we are in northern Vermont), longevity, ease of maintenance and availability of parts, and ease of operation.

I read the old thread on the Zspray and the t3000 and I don't need this to turn into a pissing match, but I do need to hear from users what is working and what isn't working--every machine has pluses and minuses--I just want to learn from your experience going into this.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Subscribed.
Im looking to buy my first ride on, no experience with any brand.
I am inclined to go with the z spray, mainly because my John deere/ Lesco. dealer carries them and I do know someone in the biz that is currently using one and has used Permagreens in the past.
Likes the Z spray better but, still uses the PG Magnum on hilly properties.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a T3000 and love it I can do all sizes of properties with it.

I really like the fact that I can use a carrier rack it make my outfit compact.

I have not had any problems with it pretty much just belts and up graded the pump. I have broke some thing

Very very good on hills spreads nice and no boom to get in the way. Great weed kill

I think it would be nice to have more power for going up hills but I realize it was designed for easy operation.

I really can't think of any bad things there are always thing that you would change . I am going to up grade to the new foot pedal

I would be glad to answer any ?

You need to find 1 of each to try or go to the GIE show

Charles Cue
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NY View Post
Subscribed.
Im looking to buy my first ride on, no experience with any brand.
I am inclined to go with the z spray, mainly because my John deere/ Lesco. dealer carries them and I do know someone in the biz that is currently using one and has used Permagreens in the past.
Likes the Z spray better but, still uses the PG Magnum on hilly properties.
Why won't your friend use his Z on hill sides I have heard that a Z is better on hills than a permagreen .

I can tell you a permagreen wont go where my T will go

Charles Cue
Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes why will your friend not put his Z on a hill? I own both a Z-Spray and a Permagreen. I will put the Z on any hill before the Permagreen, Z -Sprays have no more trouble with hills then any other ride-on in the market.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I am really not sure why he has a preferance for the Magnum over the Z on hills.
He says that even when he locks in the casters the Mag is more stable.
We are talking Hills, Not gentile slopes.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the Zspray intermediate and absolutely enjoy using it every time I'm on it. I service properties from 10k up to 240k. If you don't have anyone in your area that has one and your interested in taking it for a spin, I would be more than happy to assist you.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a t bought in used this season it does a good job. I have the same problems with it as que does that and I hate the hose end needs a longer reel. Also the back end will slip turning up hill I have burned a place but know I'm a little quicker to turn sprayer off.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

best stand-on sprayer/spreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
I have a T3000 and love it I can do all sizes of properties with it.

I really like the fact that I can use a carrier rack it make my outfit compact.

I have not had any problems with it pretty much just belts and up graded the pump. I have broke some thing

Very very good on hills spreads nice and no boom to get in the way. Great weed kill

I think it would be nice to have more power for going up hills but I realize it was designed for easy operation.

I really can't think of any bad things there are always thing that you would change . I am going to up grade to the new foot pedal

I would be glad to answer any ?

You need to find 1 of each to try or go to the GIE show

Charles Cue
We upgraded our T3000's with the new pump & go pedal. No other unit can compete with the T3000. We used PG's in the past. Demoed Z-Sprays (all sizes) several times. Demoed the Ground Logic too.

With the T3000, you get the best of both worlds. I won't bore you with the many reasons. There are over 3 dozen T3000's in my town. Way more than any other stand-on sprayer/spreader.

I saw the first Z-Spray today in weeks. Once in a awhile I'll see a PG Magnum.

Our local Scotts Lawn Care had exclusively run Ground Logic units for years, but now I see they're running T3000 units.

Final note: The only stand-on sprayer/spreader you will not see for sale on ebay = TURFCO's T3000.

p.s. We treat a 20 acre cemetery that will only allow a T3000 to treat it, and their reasons are valid.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
We upgraded our T3000's with the new pump & go pedal. No other unit can compete with the T3000. We used PG's in the past. Demoed Z-Sprays (all sizes) several times. Demoed the Ground Logic too.

With the T3000, you get the best of both worlds. I won't bore you with the many reasons. There are over 3 dozen T3000's in my town. Way more than any other stand-on sprayer/spreader.

I saw the first Z-Spray today in weeks. Once in a awhile I'll see a PG Magnum.

Our local Scotts Lawn Care had exclusively run Ground Logic units for years, but now I see they're running T3000 units.

Final note: The only stand-on sprayer/spreader you will not see for sale on ebay = TURFCO's T3000.

p.s. We treat a 20 acre cemetery that will only allow a T3000 to treat it, and their reasons are valid.
JOKE