Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any Super Z HD 72" Owners?

I need to know good and bad about the new super z hd. I might be purchasing 2 depending on the reviews. Please any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in hearing from others that have the new Super Z HD 72".

I am also about to buy a new Hustler and am thinking about moving up to the 72. I have always used the 60 but am thinking about stepping it up to 72 to be more productive.

Also wondering if the DFI is coming out soon, as I would really like to get one.

I have always been pleased with the Hustler Super Z's that I have. I currently have a 2006 Super Z with 60" XR7 deck and 27hp Kohler and a 2011 Hustler Super Z hyper drive with a 60" VX4 deck and the 35/37hp Kawasaki. I have had a few older Super Z's but sold them.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
I am interested in hearing from others that have the new Super Z HD 72".

I am also about to buy a new Hustler and am thinking about moving up to the 72. I have always used the 60 but am thinking about stepping it up to 72 to be more productive.

Also wondering if the DFI is coming out soon, as I would really like to get one.

I have always been pleased with the Hustler Super Z's that I have. I currently have a 2006 Super Z with 60" XR7 deck and 27hp Kohler and a 2011 Hustler Super Z hyper drive with a 60" VX4 deck and the 35/37hp Kawasaki. I have had a few older Super Z's but sold them.
I've owned many different Super Z mowers through the years, and I also have a 2006 66"/XR-7 with a Kohler 28 efi, which I mowed with in the rain yesterday and it still does a wonderful job.

I have a 72" HD with the 35 Kawasaki and it has been flawless to this point. It gives an excellent cut in my grasses and weeds, and it cuts equally as well at top speed, a mowing speed I utilize quite often for the fact of mowing large open areas.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. I personally would prefer the 37 dfi of which has not yet been offered, but I am told they may have it in place by this fall. I have a 2012 yr model, the new 2013 HD offers a Grammer air-ride seat, 26" drive tires, and pneumatic front tires instead of the run-flats like on my machine. The engine is also turned sideways whereas my engine is straight. I personally like the semi-pneumatic run-flat tires, they ride really well, and are what I define as worry-free tires.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran a 2013 60" SZ HD with a 1000 kawi last season for almost 50 hrs. Coming off a 2001 standard 60" SZ with 24 honda and a 2005 66" SZ with a 28 efi Kohler. This is one sweet machine. Of course this much of this is opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Things I noticed: Thirsty! Approx 2.0 gph. Nicer cut compared to either of my other machines even after all the tweeking I had done to them. Seat is hands down best I've been on but sort of ugly. More than fast enough and powerful enough and will pull front wheels off the ground. Front casters still chatter/walk at high speed on hard surfaces (was told not as bad with flex forks-maybe due to different caster degree?) Deck is easier to lift. Nice duel read LED fuel gauge. Anti-scalp wheels are awesome. Stripe kit is WAY to expensive (something like $750.00!!) New soft bagger system and blower nicer and more effective set up. Slightly taller. Bigger rear tires and front pneumatic seem the way to go in traction and ride.

My dealer is saying dfi to hit showrooms by April. Even though he is putting my name on two I'm not holding my breath.

Down to the SZ HD or Scag Cheetah or TT. Still leaning toward the SZ. Not liking some reports post on here on the Kawi 1000 dfi only giving close to 2.0 gph though if they're correct. My kohler 28 efi on my 66" SZ is closer to 1.0 gph. One of my kawi 1000 carb engines was already giving me 2.0 gph.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

mtnmower-

since starting this thread last year, cimkill bought two SZ's and is liking them very well. He has posted video's on here recently of some of the crap he has to cut with them I'm hearing that the FX1000 and 850 are coming out in EFI this year.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Ridin I have been able to drill through some properties cause the rain held up but did not video these ones just put 50 hours on the one outfitted with propane last week. The hustler hd with the 72" deck is unbelievable. Just cut a resort today thats on a hill about 16 acres. Started at 7:30 done by 12:00. with 45 minutes lost getting stuck and getting towed out of mud. With the old machines same property use to take till 3:15. They are truly incredible pushes uphill with that huge deck like nothing leaving no stragglers I am loving them thats for sure.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What did you use to pull it free? Your truck or what? Did the mud get caked all around the blades and spindles too?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
What did you use to pull it free? Your truck or what? Did the mud get caked all around the blades and spindles too?
Hello Ridin, yes I used my truck. No deck was not caked but around the wheel motors, and lines was caked pretty good. I am going to use the old hustler and ferris tomorrow to cut my personal 12.5 acres property has been inaccessible for the past 7 weeks, so that will be fun. Unfortunately have family visiting from U.K. and have to take them on a jungle tour so won't be there, thats why I am sending the old mowers with the guys. Will get some more video up hopefully next week end if I have time. My wife is due with our second child in the next few weeks, so might be absent on the site next month.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just take the inlaws out into the growth on your own place for a jungle tour

Congrats on your new baby coming! Hope all goes smooth with the delivery.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny, just got back, the tour was awesome saw howler monkeys, crocodiles, Iguanas, waterfalls, it was worth the trip. Thanks Ridin hopefully it will go smooth, we went to U.S. for Logan's birth, but decided on having the other one here, should be fine. Take care and happy mowing, oh crap michigan ok happy snow plowing.