Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on my business please

52 yrs old 22 years in business solo , totally legit taxes insurance, everything, 50 lawns a week , Spring /Fall clean ups, small landscape projects and snow plowing 19 accounts end results , I gross just under 80,000 the last 5 years, wondering if its worth it , I work a lot and getting old and tired and after all the grief of keeping equipment running and paying accountant and taxes and insurance and fuel etc etc I wonder if an 800 dollar a week job might be a better way,

What your thoughts? I seriously doubt I can do any more work and stay solo and I don;t want employees been there and it just does not work well with me..
Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gross $79,000.

Thinking of going to work for someone else for $800 a week for 52 weeks. That is $41,600 gross. What would you net from being an employee.

You netting more or less then $41,600 as a landscaper?

If I could of found work for $800 a week three years ago I would not be in my third year of landscaping at 59 years old.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is your profit worth the time? I feel that way on bad days, but on good days I love this work. Your health is probably better than most people your age. It does get more difficult as you age (I'm 53) but I still can't think of anything else I'd rather do. Also at 52 you'd probably have a hard time getting hired.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
Also at 52 you'd probably have a hard time getting hired.
That's the sad truth, but he is right.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Still thinking here , at 80,000 gross my net is 52-56,000 , 10 grand alone is gas and diesel , 3 grand insurance , the rest of the expense is maintenance and repair cost and landscape project materials .and at least one new equipment upgrade or replacement per year there's a lot of pros to owning a solo business but the big con I see right now is how much work hours it takes to gross almost 80,000 I not a mathematician but I bet my work hours versus net income puts me right back at basic employee pay scales , makes me wonder a bit

And as mentioned this line of work does keep us old guys fit and trim , thats a big pro hate to give that up and gain 20 lbs

thanks again for the replies
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My situation is similar, 53 years old, gross around $85,000, completely legit workers comp etc. but I figure I would have to find a job at over $1300.00 a week to net what I do in my business. I am staying right here
Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We work a lot of hours from march-November but those hour decrease significantly December-February. The hours you work ultimately average out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
My situation is similar, 53 years old, gross around $85,000, completely legit workers comp etc. but I figure I would have to find a job at over $1300.00 a week to net what I do in my business. I am staying right here
I imagine you Southerners have a longer season than us Northern s, up here we can plow snow when it snows and actually do well but only a fool would count on a good plow season.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
We work a lot of hours from march-November but those hour decrease significantly December-February. The hours you work ultimately average out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dec 1 through March 15 I drive CDL B 5-6 days brings in 9- 11,000 depending how cold it gets.

The work never ends no matter what the season I in a rut sorta
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Allot of people including myself would like to be in a position to be able to make a full time living doing this job. I worked for a large very successful LCO from 1996 till 2003. Made my way up to head foreman but that was as far as I was going. I got out of it and now have a +\- 50k year job that I hate, work nights weekends holidays and have little control over what I do when Im working. Due to economy My benefits have decreased and I have not had a nickel pay raise in 5 years. At 36 years old I said enough relying on someone else and I bought some equipment, already had some, and started my own side business. I only have 6 accounts but I love working for myself. I would die to be able to do this full time and be able to bring home 50-60k a year. I know other successful in this industry in my area llive well. Working for a large company or local, state, federal is not all its cracked up to be. Yet at 36 with a family I hope Im not starting too late. Keep going maybe change up some work expand into a new field, look at expenses and make sure what you charge is in line with current pricing. If you have been able to do it for 20 years don't quit now!
Posted via Mobile Device