Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What if you found a reliable, competent, proficient young person to take over the solo deal while you just sell and manage?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never seen so many fellers on Lawnsite wanting to quit, usually its a few in a year this week its everyone.

For me I keeping my business even though Im also getting tired.

I don't think anyone is gonna pay 800$ unless you do a lot of work, and that will make one tired.

Heck Id like to roll back the clock some, but I cant afford a Delorean.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tower Rat, What type of business structure do you have ? Your fuel and insurance seem to be in line.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Rat 95B View Post
52 yrs old 22 years in business solo , totally legit taxes insurance, everything, 50 lawns a week , Spring /Fall clean ups, small landscape projects and snow plowing 19 accounts end results , I gross just under 80,000 the last 5 years, wondering if its worth it , I work a lot and getting old and tired and after all the grief of keeping equipment running and paying accountant and taxes and insurance and fuel etc etc I wonder if an 800 dollar a week job might be a better way,

What your thoughts? I seriously doubt I can do any more work and stay solo and I don;t want employees been there and it just does not work well with me..
Not to be a downer, but...in 22 years you have only 50 lawns? And let me get this str8, you have grossed only 80k in 5 years? If that is the case, I can see why you are asking, "If it's worth it"?

I have my own personal route that grosses 1500/wk, meanwhile I have a 3 man crew running the other part of our weekly route (the more acreage). We have 90 accounts & growing....locally...no chasing down accounts...we have a 9 mile radius.

We are north also, and we do not rely on snow plowing, but....we do have commercial accounts that carry us through the winter months if we do not have the desirable snow accumulation.
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

ringahding,

I believe that he meant he was grossing $80,000 per year with a net of $52,000-$56,000 between mowing, landscaping, and plowing. Being that he also wants to stay solo I'm guessing 50 lawns is a comfortable number of lawns to complete in one week.

My plan for the future is to slip out of the owner/operator role and try to manage my business. It's probably easier said than done.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleLawncare View Post
ringahding,

I believe that he meant he was grossing $80,000 per year with a net of $52,000-$56,000 between mowing, landscaping, and plowing. Being that he also wants to stay solo I'm guessing 50 lawns is a comfortable number of lawns to complete in one week.

My plan for the future is to slip out of the owner/operator role and try to manage my business. It's probably easier said than done.
I believe that is what he is saying, and numbers of lawns means nothing, one property could easily be a $10,000 per year property
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Rat 95B View Post
52 yrs old 22 years in business solo , totally legit taxes insurance, everything, 50 lawns a week , Spring /Fall clean ups, small landscape projects and snow plowing 19 accounts end results , I gross just under 80,000 the last 5 years, wondering if its worth it , I work a lot and getting old and tired and after all the grief of keeping equipment running and paying accountant and taxes and insurance and fuel etc etc I wonder if an 800 dollar a week job might be a better way,

What your thoughts? I seriously doubt I can do any more work and stay solo and I don;t want employees been there and it just does not work well with me..
I don't know where you are, but when you get some down time I would really tear into my books and figure out where I am making money and where you are not. Or better still where you are making the better number, do this customer by customer and job my job - give up those that lower your net. Look at everything and write it down and compare.
I am 66 this summer is a *****, but I am doing better than last summer - on the bottom line.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the OP is saying that he is "topped out" in terms of what a solo op can do.

I am solo, and I did so a few years ago. Well, that isn't quite right. After 18 seasons, I do continue to be more productive (increased efficiency), despite getting a year older every 12 months. Perhaps I am crossing that line now, where the horse is loosing some speed, despite being more productive. I just cannot do the 12 hour work days, back-to-back-to-back like I could a few years ago.

As for me, I would have gladly put all my equipment out at the curb for trash pickup many years ago, to return to full-time employment, doing what I spent decades learning to do, and loved doing. I could have made 3X over cutting grass. Age discrimination is alive and well.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

By no means am I putting down any of you solo guys, BUT what is the big deal hiring a guy or two?

Yes, you are going to put up with some bullXHit with employees here and there but you will find a good one once in a while too, and he could make your life a lot easier. Just having a week wacker guy on your truck would make life a ton easier for you.

Physically, I could never go back in the field and would not want to. I clear anywhere from $10 to $20 per hour on each of my guys all week long.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllawson View Post
Ralph, great point on looking at your business customer by customer. When you have a good understanding of your customers you can replace your worst customers with ones more like your best customers. This will improve your bottom line and eliminate some of your greatest sources of stress. I use a simple system to grade my customers that you are welcome to take a look at http://www.819resources.com/ebooks/day-18-tuesday/.

Tower Rat, your retirement plans are another very important consideration. With a profitable business, you will have options when you want to start slowing down. You can hire one employee and manage your current accounts or get some money by selling your business. If you go to work for someone else, they may let you go at any time and you could be left with nothing.
Nice organized way of doing that, I did something very similar last year a ended the relationship with several customers - I now spend more time with my customers which translates into projects
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker