Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2015, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Member

10" grass average height for violation fine? Average fine cost?

what would you say is the average height that can get a property fined? 10", 12" and the average fine is about $200? thanks p.s 10-12" seems way too short, I would think 2 feet, and I read of fines up to $350, I would think it's just like $80.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unless this property is your own, do not concern your self with other property's or other people's problems.
If the property is your own just get it mowed and keep it that way going forward. Common sense will carry the day if your willing to exercise it.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-14-2015, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I know I'm just curious the height and cost.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I picked up a good customer this year who got a fine for her yard that was only about 8" tall and a bunch of leaves so size really doesn't matter it was from complaints. Her previous lawn service kept putting her off and let it grow. Idk what the fine was but she wasn't happy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2015, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some places in my area there is a person who rides around this time of year checking to make sure bank owned properties are being maintained. He is usually from the county or borough, usually someone will complain first!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2015, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

around here the limit is 9" and the fine is $300 but they never really enforce it to be honest. they just leave a notice on the person's door telling them to cut it or they will be fined.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sucks to be ya'll. 10", really? Our HOA keeps us busier than ever this time of year. You can't get by with 10" down here, heck they find you down here for grass or weeds in the street or driveway cracks.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roody2333 View Post
I know I'm just curious the height and cost.
Curiosity killed the cat, move along, there be dragons.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Unless this property is your own, do not concern your self with other property's or other people's problems.
If the property is your own just get it mowed and keep it that way going forward. Common sense will carry the day if your willing to exercise it.
easy-lift guy
SCREW THAT.

You obviously don't have to look out the window of the home you pay for and properly maintain, and look at a freaking weed infested "meadow" that is supposed to be a lawn across the street.
My POS neighbor cut his grass THREE times last season. THREE TIMES.
Each time was after we submitted a complaint. (There were more than 3 complaints submitted by the way and not all by us)

"Common sense". That's funny.
Common sense would dictate that you mow your lawn more than three times a season in a residential neighborhood.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here's what is stated in the article from my municipality regarding "grass and weeds"...

Quote:
Grass and weeds must be kept at a height below ten (10") inches from April through October.
All yard areas within 200' of any structure must be properly maintained.

All property owners are urged to maintain their yards, lots, and commercial areas. Code officers will issue violation notices to property owners that do not maintain their yards.
In the case of absentee owners, the municipality utilizes the services of lawn care maintenance companies to cut grass and weeds. Fines and costs incurred by the municipality in resolving the violation are assessed to the property owners.

(snip)

All trees, hedges, and shrubbery should be neatly trimmed, and notb hang over onto the streets, sidewalks, or adjacent property.

The fine for violation of these rules is $500 per day for each ad every day that the violation exists.

I would just be happy if they enforced it.