Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Snake in fish pond

I've had a 3 ft. water snake in my pond for 3 weeks now - at least that's what I think he is. Afraid he will start eating my goldfish any day now. Agree, don't like to kill non poisonous snakes if not necessary. Thinking of using 9mm or .22 snake shot round. Can't use larger caliber or risk hole in the pond liner. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snakes don't bother me. When we go camping I like to catch one and cook it over a fire. Really grosses the wife out.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't killing stuff at all anymore. Used to hunt all the time. The last few years of deer season I passed up many many shots at nice deer. I just enjoyed being out and being at camp with my buddies. I'm not longer invited up there since I never shoot anything though. I do kill fish pretty often, but don't take any enjoyment from actually killing them, sure taste good though. Sometimes I have to kill a rooster or two cause the neighbors start to complain and this year I hit a bunny rabbit with the edge of the brush hog and had to do a mercy killing on it and I also hit a freaking bird the other day while mowing. Who hits a bird with a ztr....I mean really. So that thing was flopping around and I had to eunazie him too. I see a lot of snapping turtles around here crossing the road. I always stop to rescue them. I used to grab them by the tails but I read on the interwebs that can harm them and to grab the back of their shells. Gonna try that new method next time I see one.

Back in 2006 when I was living in GA and working as a site superintendent for a home builder, the roofers put a cottonmouth in my truck. I caught it and said haha funny you guys. You got me. I guess I was doing my job correctly because they hated the guy in the white hardhat (me). Anyway, I'm parading this snake around the jobsite, still living of course, and showing everyone how the roofers pulled one over on me. One guy finally told me that was a cottonmouth and how dangerous they can be. Me, being a yankee from PA, had no idea cause we don't have those things up here. Got lucky that day HA. Anyway, I let the snake go unharmed
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
I've had a 3 ft. water snake in my pond for 3 weeks now - at least that's what I think he is. Afraid he will start eating my goldfish any day now. Agree, don't like to kill non poisonous snakes if not necessary. Thinking of using 9mm or .22 snake shot round. Can't use larger caliber or risk hole in the pond liner. Any other suggestions?
Catch it in a coat, and smack it with a hammer or call cousin Eddy, he usually eats those damn things.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I feel bad. I caught a little snake with the trimmer today.
He was maybe 8" long and just a little thicker than a pencil.

At least he died quickly instead of crawling off to die slowly.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Seen about six this year, I don't have time to kill them, I'm to busy running!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't normally kill snakes, most often I let them go their way and I go mine but I can also tell you I don't jump near as high over bunnies.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose's Mowing View Post
Catch it in a coat, and smack it with a hammer or call cousin Eddy, he usually eats those damn things.
Catch him in a net and relocate him.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Came across this typically-colored, smallish Georgia copperhead the other day.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Came across a small one today. Just a little black with yellow stripe down the middle. Couldn't have been more that 12" long and an inch thick. Slithered its way into the woods.

But here's something different. I almost hit a cat yesterday. I was mowing along a wood line and the thing came flying out of the woods out of no where in front of me and cooked across the yard. It caught me totally off guard but I couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes haha