Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm gonna need help with this one-relocating mulch

Ok, a good mowing customer wants to me relocate the pine bark from the beds in the front of his house to the rear and put in new mulch. How in the world do i price that?

And i could also use help on pricing a mulch job period. I'm thinking about looking into bag mulch. How far does a bag go?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

14 bags of shredded hardwood mulch will cover 180 sf. 2" thick. I would figure estimated hours for moving existing mulch and add double the cost of the new mulch.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 yard of mulch (27 cubic feet) will cover:
3 inches deep: 108 sq ft
2 inches deep 160 sq ft
1 inch deep 320 sq ft
please consider getting bulk mulch since it is cheaper usually and doesn't create waste (plastic bags)
usually we charge $60/yard for mulch installation + $50 delivery fee. price could vary if mulch destination is up a hill or far away; more money.
good luck
Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

the problem with bulk delivery is there is no good place to dump it. The house is on a hill, circle drive with no real room to do much.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

You need to figure your production rate. For the removal and relocating. Then the new product installed.
Tell me what your square footage is for the removal, how far to transport and area to cover with the old stuff and we can figure out a base #of hours that I would bill for.
Mulch here in Oregon is pretty cheap I think compared to your area. We get a yard of mulch for around $15, and bark dust from $25 up. I usually figure 1 yd per 500 sq.ft to cover bare ground. 1 yd per 1000 sq.ft. if there is a comparable product in place already and I am just topdressing.

Last edited by rockycrab; 07-06-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

As much as I hate to actually post this, i'm going to have to drop by and get measurements again, my 11 week old puppy decided my notes seemed like a good chew toy.

however, heres a google earth view with the areas circled in red that he wants moved to where the arrows are in the back, and then the front recovered with shredded mulch. The yard goes around to expose a full basement if that gives and idea of the slope to get to the back yard.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Showing a pic of the Puppy might help! LOL

Does not look like more than a 1000 sq.ft. in the front.
Hard to figure how you are to relocate that old material into a smaller area in the back though. Or figure out why that would make any horticultural sense.

I would suspect that they really want a freshened up appearance and would suggest to them that a topdress would be the way to go!
If there is no product in the back beds then the solution is to bring in new product for those areas as well.

The $ savings would be in not migrating the old stuff from the front areas to the rear areas. New product should be cheaper to cover your entire square footage than scarping up old and moving it.

Last edited by rockycrab; 07-07-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycrab View Post
... Hard to figure how you are to relocate that old material into a smaller area in the back though. Or figure out why that would make any horticultural sense.

I would suspect that they really want a freshened up appearance and would suggest to them that a topdress would be the way to go!
If there is no product in the back beds then the solution is to bring in new product for those areas as well.

The $ savings would be in not migrating the old stuff from the front areas to the rear areas. New product should be cheaper to cover your entire square footage than scarping up old and moving it.
Even if they definately wanted the old mulch gone,,, there is no reason to remove the entire depth of the mulch,,, just the top inch or so and save the money by placing less new material... in fact there may very well be roots in the old mulch that benefit from it decay...

Also, the 'bag vs. bulk' issue can be solved by putting the bulk on your truck/trailer and wheeling it to location, right off the truck...
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Even if they definately wanted the old mulch gone,,, there is no reason to remove the entire depth of the mulch,,, just the top inch or so and save the money by placing less new material... in fact there may very well be roots in the old mulch that benefit from it decay...

Also, the 'bag vs. bulk' issue can be solved by putting the bulk on your truck/trailer and wheeling it to location, right off the truck...
I had a job earlier that wanted this done. I figured just scrape off the top. She comes outside yelling I need to be digging the mulch up with a pitchfork. I'm like yeah...

And then she comes outside an hour later to tell at me about the other side f the house that we hadnt even got to yet. Lol - then she takes her ruler and starts poking in the new mulch lookin for exactly 3 inches

Needless to say, I packed my sh t up and left. Never again am I doing that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is good to inform the client ahead of time... if they want to strip the rootzone of the protective decayed richness, that is the old mulch,,, I refuse the job to their face...
Whenever a h.o. wants things done the wrong or foolish way, I no longer am available and if they keep pushing the issue I have to speak up... it is the only way to keep a reputation of excellence over your entire carreer...