Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
No good ideas about P cycling from clippings and leaves???
I believe recycling of nutrients has been a practice of earth for a long time. Turf for instance whether its cut clippings or natural senescence provide nutrient.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So P is already in the ground,,, somewhere in concentrated form of phosphates,,, we take it out of the ground and redistribute it to other ground that doesn't have enough to support vigorous healthy growth in any given area...
I don't see a problem there,,, environmentally or otherwise...

How about P cycling, back into the turf when mulch mowing??? Tree leaves of loaded with P,,, so would mulching maple leaves into the turf every Fall,,, like Michigan State does, cycle 100% of the P that was available to the plants once b4? or does it become bound up again once it breaks down to compost in the soil??
PS. Did Skip GET the axe?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes,,, we all know that cycling of nutrients is the natural process w/out fertilizer...

My question is whether or not the recycled grass clipping and the mulch in tree debris,,, releases the P into the soil where 80% of it would be bound up again,,, just like what happens when applying fert???
What about the P in other organic ferts??? Immune to the 'getting locked up' syndrome???

I imagine that it would depend on the chemistry of the soils moreso than the source of the P,,, but I don't know... that is why I'm asking in case someone out there can offer some intelligent thoughts, that start me off in the right direction of research...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess the only true locked up P is what we mine because there it sits. I believe once it is used by plants. It remains recyclable.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes,,, we all know that cycling of nutrients is the natural process w/out fertilizer...

My question is whether or not the recycled grass clipping and the mulch in tree debris,,, releases the P into the soil where 80% of it would be bound up again,,, just like what happens when applying fert???
What about the P in other organic ferts??? Immune to the 'getting locked up' syndrome???

I imagine that it would depend on the chemistry of the soils moreso than the source of the P,,, but I don't know... that is why I'm asking in case someone out there can offer some intelligent thoughts, that start me off in the right direction of research...
I'll put my thoughts together axe. I'm busy today but I'll give you something good to wrap your brain around. Then I'll continue with ya. Peace out!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some snotty people have nothing to offer but insist on barging in on conversations to disrupt, mock and intimidate... "noting to offer" is the key phrase that defines these kinds of pseudo-intellectual that only can parrot what their trainers say,,, rather than have any understanding what the data means...

Rub 2 ideas together to form a Concept... is a foreign notion to the parrots even to the point of scoffing at such a statement...
Prove Me Wrong...
I'm not talking about anyone in particular here so I hope the moderators don't accuse me of name-calling...
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Is there a legitimate reason for gov't to 'outlaw' P for lawns stating that the lawns don't need it, anyways???
A 3 minute search to begin to inform the ignorant and uninformed ...............

http://www2.epa.gov/nutrient-policy-...ta-access-tool

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0128075641.htm

http://www.fao.org/docrep/W2598E/w2598e06.htm
Old 07-13-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Kiril, you're a smart guy. Please add something positive to discussions.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Kiril, you're a smart guy. Please add something positive to discussions.
I did ... three links worth, and got hypocritically criticized for it. Oh, and don't forget those couple of "concepts" I offered up so someone might rub them together.

Tell me though Barry, why would I offer up any insight to anything axe posts when all I will get is his usual hypocritical stuff?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I did ... three links worth, and got hypocritically criticized for it. Oh, and don't forget those couple of "concepts" I offered up so someone might rub them together.

Tell me though Barry, why would I offer up any insight to anything axe posts when all I will get is his usual hypocritical stuff?
Because there are many other people reading these threads who could learn a lot from your knowledge.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt