Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Sponsor

Favorite Trimmer Head and Line

Which trimmer head and line combo do you prefer to use and why?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We run RedMax trimmers but use Stihl Autocut 25-2 heads with RedMax .095 twisted trimmer line. The 25-2 head feeds better and is way more durable than the PT104 head that comes on the RedMax. The 25-2 is a bit more time consuming to rewhip but that's really a non-issue.

As for the line, I've tried them all and nothing cuts as clean as the twisted RedMax line for regular trimming applications. Occasionally, we have overgrown banks that need to be trimmed and we will use Oregon Gator Square .105. IMO, the Gator Square is too aggressive for weekly trimming needs.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Husqvarna T-35 head is the easiest regular head there is today as far as loading or removing/installing. No disrespect to the guy above me, but my Stihl auto cut 25-2 heads suck badly in comparison, both in the way they load, and they way they feed.

My favorite line overall is Gator Magnum with the Aramid chord in the center, but if you have a trimmer with the power to run it, the newer Platinum Super Twist Gator line (the new blue twist line with the white center) is head and shoulders above all others for cutting any type of growth. That stuff is like adding a sharp knife to your trimmer head.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The Husqvarna T-35 head is the easiest regular head there is today as far as loading or removing/installing. No disrespect to the guy above me, but my Stihl auto cut 25-2 heads suck badly in comparison, both in the way they load, and they way they feed.

My favorite line overall is Gator Magnum with the Aramid chord in the center, but if you have a trimmer with the power to run it, the newer Platinum Super Twist Gator line (the new blue twist line with the white center) is head and shoulders above all others for cutting any type of growth. That stuff is like adding a sharp knife to your trimmer head.
+1 on the T-35 and Gator line. Still using Gator mag in .095 for reg cuts, and .105 for ignorant knock downs. I will have to order up some of the "new" platinum super twist.

Absolutely no trimmer head on the market works better. Holds a lot of line, feeds very reliably.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never tried a T-35 head but it seems like you guys really like them. I assume they would work with my RedMax trimmers?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&L Landscaping View Post
I've never tried a T-35 head but it seems like you guys really like them. I assume they would work with my RedMax trimmers?
I've never had a RM trimmer, but I would think so since they are owned by Husqvarna. You will really like the T-35 head.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I've never had a RM trimmer, but I would think so since they are owned by Husqvarna. You will really like the T-35 head.
OK my friend, thanks! I guess I'll stop by tomorrow and pick up 2 or 3 and see how the guys and I like 'em.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
+1 on the T-35 and Gator line. Still using Gator mag in .095 for reg cuts, and .105 for ignorant knock downs. I will have to order up some of the "new" platinum super twist.

Absolutely no trimmer head on the market works better. Holds a lot of line, feeds very reliably.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I found my spool of super twist, they only had it in .105", but when we compared it to .095" Red Max Cable Twist and all the other .095" line there, neither I, nor the dealer could see any difference in size, so I went for it. It loads down my 223L a little in heavy grass, but it isn't a problem for my FS90 or FS250. It is like using a ginsu knife LOL
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you fellas have a resource for the Platinum Super Twist? All I can find online is the regular Gator Twisted line.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&L Landscaping View Post
Do you fellas have a resource for the Platinum Super Twist? All I can find online is the regular Gator Twisted line.

Thanks
I can't really help you there bro. I buy from local dealers since I am solo and don't go through it like you guys with crews do. Plus, I like to support them so that I have somewhere to take my stuff if it craps out on me.

This is the stuff though. Click on detail view for a better view of it-

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pr..._gatorline.htm

Tags
echo , head , line , stihl , trimmer