Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They really do look like bald face hornets. The nest really does. But I do not think they would let you that close with out tearing you up. I got hit by one bald face wile trimming a tree. It knocked me down to the ground, cussing, and holding my arm. And I'm not a small guy, and have been stung more than most because my dad was a beekeeper.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare spot View Post
been cutting shrubs most of the wk, and after most recent run in with the bees, been on high alert and doing recon as mentioned. 9ball1018, had a couple bad run ins but no where near 70, wow, were u still standing? would think maybe with that many might need some medical help. idk but think something gets injected and that could be a lot of juice. hopefully came out of that attack alright.
Yea I was fine everyone said for me to go to the hostipal but I didn't toughed it out and finished the day. My calfs were larger than my thighs. They are a real pita every time I've ran across a large nest I've been chased blocks. Jumped in my truck one time to get away and two had flown in with me. I took off running again and got stung in the buttocks. The countless times I've been stung I've noticed it's always worse in late summer.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Hate

There are few, very few things in this world I carry a hate on for wasps are one. I hate to say it but most years the little buggers get me once, this year so far so good. A couple of years ago I was stung in the for head it felt like I had been hit with a center punch I had to sit down for a minute I hate em.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hateful little buggers. I've had a few encounters. Once in my own yard I accidently raked a pile of pine straw over their opening. I didn't even know it. I went back a few minutes later and moved the pile with my rake and BAM! They were in full attack mode, I was ambushed. I received seventeen stings as I ran away as fast as I could. Went back that night with a can of wasp spray and soaked 'em good. Revenge is sweet.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

had another run in, this one was interesting in that i was cutting back this big old huge rhodadendum that had a bunch of bees hanging around it. looked and looked but couldn't find a nest, looked like they away from nest somewhere and enjoiying the parts of the faded flower blooms, must like that stuff but anyway wanted to get it done so i just jumped right in and made point to avoided contact as much as possible to see how it goes. it ended up going really well, trips up on the ladder make me catious and got stung reaching to grab a branch for balencve, must of been a bee right where i grabbed. anyway, took a few hrs but except for me grapping one of them, i left them alone and pretty much as i got near finishing up noticed a lot of the bees seamed to have moved on but mostly they left me alone i got it done. had to jump around and cut around where the bees were at the beginning, messed up somewhat it came together in the end.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I discovered a huge hornet nest on the side of a client's home this morning. Scared the CRAP out of me.

I was pushing the mower along the side of the house when a hornet flew in front of my face. I looked up and there it was - about 6' up attached to a "pipe" chimney, friggin' 18" tall (at least) and covered with bald faced hornets coming and going out the hole near the bottom.

I let go of the mower and backpedaled FAST.
I took pics, but still need to upload them. I don't know how long it takes them to build something that large, but I don't recall seeing them last week.

I'm sure they are not uncommon, but I've personally never seen a nest that large before. It was incredibly interesting and terrifying at the same time.

RUN AWAY!!!

RUN AWAY!!!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Had one of my guys go to the hospital with his face and neck swollen because of some Georgia hornets. I don't know what would have happened if we did not carry epi pens.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescapes View Post
Had one of my guys go to the hospital with his face and neck swollen because of some Georgia hornets. I don't know what would have happened if we did not carry epi pens.
Glad he made and good call on the pens, I am semi allergic multiple stings would definitely mess me up from hornets Im sure, red wasp I have built up immunity to them over time still swell bad though.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)