Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Annoying Customer

Today I got an angry email from a customer who was pissed off because I left her backyard gate open and her dog got loose. While we were mowing, a huge torrential downpour with string winds swept through in about 15-20 minutes. Our focus was on getting the lawn done and getting the heck out to find some cover. She mentioned in her angry email how her dog ends up in other people's yards who threaten to harm him??!. Wtf? Well my point is if you are that worried about your dog getting loose and getting hurt, wouldn't you just double check your gates and make sure they are all closed? This customer also has low decorative wire fencing around her yard to keep her dog from digging out and she gets mad at me because I can't trim the long grass growing between her actual fence and wire fence.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

We do a lady who runs a dog sitting business, and I left the gate open last time and she said all the dogs got loose and took her hours to retrieve like 15 dogs. I think it is hilarious, I mean why would you check your gate just to be safe.

All you can do is apologize and say you will do your best to not let it happen again. That being said 5% of my customers are 95% of my problems. That just how it goes with some people.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
Today I got an angry email from a customer who was pissed off because I left her backyard gate open and her dog got loose. While we were mowing, a huge torrential downpour with string winds swept through in about 15-20 minutes. Our focus was on getting the lawn done and getting the heck out to find some cover. She mentioned in her angry email how her dog ends up in other people's yards who threaten to harm him??!. Wtf? Well my point is if you are that worried about your dog getting loose and getting hurt, wouldn't you just double check your gates and make sure they are all closed? This customer also has low decorative wire fencing around her yard to keep her dog from digging out and she gets mad at me because I can't trim the long grass growing between her actual fence and wire fence.
Posted via Mobile Device

Someone recently started a thread on this topic expecting a sympathetic ear from his fellow "professionals" here on the forum.
Near as I can tell, the true professionals gave him a beat down for not accepting responsibility for HIS leaving the gate open when it should have been closed - no excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
We do a lady who runs a dog sitting business, and I left the gate open last time and she said all the dogs got loose and took her hours to retrieve like 15 dogs. I think it is hilarious, I mean why would you check your gate just to be safe.

All you can do is apologize and say you will do your best to not let it happen again. That being said 5% of my customers are 95% of my problems. That just how it goes with some people.
Yeah, real funny.

(I guess this is the type of "professional" who will give you a pat on the back for your mistake.)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

you leave the gate open at my Mother's home allowing her beloved dog loose to be run over by a car, stolen, lost, etc, OR otherwise forcing her to comb the neighborhood (for hours perhaps) looking for her dog......you'll have bigger problems on your hands besides being fired.

there's nothing funny about your carelessness which endangers the life of someones pet. you'd better reconsider your completely insensitive point of view and be accountable for your actions if you wish to stay in business.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh yeah... You left the gate open no? And as to the "grass between the fences", who's job is it to deal with that grass? Seems like legitimate complaints. Maybe a little Gly shot into "no mans land". And apologize for the knucklehead move of leaving the gate open. Seems reasonable to me that a customer would expect both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one customer that has dogs and she works from home and puts the dogs up when service is needed. I will not do yards if they have dogs. Don't want the problems. With saying that, a customer Friday has a back yard that is completely pool with some flower beds. She comes out to the front and asks if I would run the blower and blow the cool deck off. Said sure, 2 dogs in the back yard, blower revs up and big dog takes little dog by the neck and shakes until little dog is thrown in the pool. Note to self, never ever do back yards with dogs. Funny part is this lady is the sister of the other dog owner.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

my apology to the OP. it wasn't you who found the matter funny.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It takes 10 secs to shut a gate...were you scared the rain was gunna melt you? Maybe you should write in your contracts you don't shut gates, even if they were shut when you got there. I leave the property the same way it was when I got there, with the exception of a nice lawn when I leave.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA97 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Whenever I start with a new client that has dogs, I make very clear that although we are very good about closing gates, accidents can (and do) happen, and ultimately it is up to them to check the gate before letting the dog out in the evening. It's a very simple thing to shut a gate, but it's also a very simple thing to check a gate. The customer really has no one to blame but themselves if their dogs get out, especially if they are warned ahead of time. Having said that, I've got three dogs and if any of them got lost my family would go bonkers....may people are very attached to their dogs...so it's best to be concerned, compassionate and apologetic if that happens.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple times, i sent a text saying "i forgot to close the gate", and i was off the hook. That's just something i never forget to do these days. The grass in between the fencing is a separate issue. I hear you loud and clear on that. They want to decorate, and don't think about maintaining their little displays. I couldn't help myself one time when a lady decorated her back yard with a few displays and asked me "what do you think?" I just frowned.