Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pets to a lot of people are like family, I have two dogs so I know, it may sound wrong to some but we love them animals like we do our own.

So when someone's dog gets loose, that's like someone telling a mother that her child is running around on the Interstate, sorry to be blunt but I hope that puts things in perspective and I was also hoping that helps explain why people get to acting all freaked out.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you didn't do your job and your customer was angry? Sounds about right.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I grew up hunting lots of private land in rural southwest Missouri. I learned from my father early on that you leave things like you found them. If the gate is closed, you close it after you go through. If it is open, you leave it open. It is not your property, and you do not need to know why a gate is open, or closed, it is simply your responsibility to leave it like you found it.

The same principle absolutely applies when working in someone's yard. I mean, really, is it that difficult?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would hire another lawn service is that happened to me. I had my dogs head smashed flat by a car about two months ago and I'm still not over it. A loose dog is no laughing matter.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The home owner is just as guilty for not double checking to see if the gate was closed, after all it's their dogs and they installed the gate to confine their pets. They simply should of gotten off their lazy can to check the gate before letting their pets out ,this shifting the whole blame on the LCO is B.S.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
The home owner is just as guilty for not double checking to see if the gate was closed, after all it's their dogs and they installed the gate to confine their pets. They simply should of gotten off their lazy can to check the gate before letting their pets out ,this shifting the whole blame on the LCO is B.S.
Sounds to me like your lack of responsibility and sensitivity is not much different than that of the OP.
Other responses have pointed out that you NEED to leave the property the way you found it, adding a well manicured look of course.

Clearly (Probably) the OP (Ryan) has read these responses, and has come up with the conclusion he may actually be WRONG.

Hey Man we all have put our foot in our mouth a time or two, but these are the type of situations that we learn from and make us better PROFESSIONALS.

True story: My very first client (which we still have today) has a swimming pool in her backyard and yes she has a fenced in yard. Yulp you guessed it, we have left the gate open a time or two. And yes she let me have it. But in the past 11 years, she has taught us the importance of keeping that gate shut.

The possibility of some little kid wondering into her yard and drowns in that pool. Man I would be beside myself if something like that happened!

Listen to your customer and make situations better. Not all customers deserve our ear, but this one and her dog actually do.

My suggestion to you in regards to this thread, simply respond by admitting that you did not see your PART in the situation.
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Screw the dogs, should try chasing chickens! Now thats a barrel of laughs! (for people watching!) Did it once, wont happen again. If they get out best of luck to them!

But yeah, should close the gate behind you!

I used you mow a few adgisment centres. (House and look after horses.) Can you imagine the trouble letting a $250000 horse out of a yard or paddock?
Accidents do happen, we're human but to use rain as an excuse is BS. Learn from it and leave the gate as you found it!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
i agree and when i hire a plumber i always check to make sure he's joined the pipes correctly same with an electrician i always check the wiring and when i go to a restaurant i like to stand in the kitchen and make sure the cook is doing the job correctly why would anyone hire a professional then trust them to do the job in a professional manner that would be just plain stupid
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chickens,, now that is funny!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Chickens,, now that is funny!
Oh yeah, freakin hilarious!