Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ground wire question

The lights on my trailer stopped working. I replaced the lights. I'm assuming it's the ground because I hooked the trailer up to another vehicle and it didn't work on that either so it's not my truck.

I looked on my ground and it's screwed to very rusty metal. Could that be the problem? I didn't see any breaks in the wire.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

A cheap test light or continuity tester would take all the guess work out of it. Check all your connections in trailer plug and tow vehicle . Check your fuses too.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a DMM? Ohm the ground wire from the ground pin on a light pigtail to the ground post on the trailer plug. Should be less than 4 ohms. Have you made sure that you have power to them? Could have a bad wire in the plug.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I changed the two back lights and now they only work on turn signaling and braking but not when the lights are just on. I joined the wire colors exactly the way they came off. What did I do wrong?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

start with cleaning that ground up then check again...using a simple test light will do the job... then,test truck side first at pigtail & make sure everything is good there...then, plug trailer in & take lenses off trailer lights...make sure your bulbs are good...take bulbs out & test with test light where bulbs make connection...do one side at a time; brake/l-trn/r-trn/running lights...see whats working & whats not...if none are working at all then strart with that ground where its connected to trailer....
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
I changed the two back lights and now they only work on turn signaling and braking but not when the lights are just on. I joined the wire colors exactly the way they came off. What did I do wrong?
check it over again, look on back side of your new lights..it will tell you where to put wire for the running lights & also for the brake/turn lights.. if you have one & not the other working then check with test light at the trailer light without the bulb in....were your wires spliced before?? if so check there for power to each wire & your turn & brake are on the same wire & running light on the other...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check for power in the brown wire with the marker lights on. If you have power the use a DMM and check for continuity between the pin for the marker light and the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The first step I always perform is to make sure power is getting TO the connector.
Granted the fault is usually in the trailer but not always.
While test lights certainly are required, I like to have some of these handy:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Trailer...Testers/p_9035

Once I KNOW that power is getting TO the connector, I then proceed with the trailer's wiring.

Otherwise it's just no use, how do I know where the fault lies.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I always pull a separate ground wire for the trailer lights. Frame grounds always corrode and fail. Use high grade connectors and dielectric grease and heat shrink tubing secure the wiring harness to the trailer. It should last a long time and when they do fail, most of the time its lamps or the tow vehicle harness not the grounds. I recommended http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8zo9rlnmoq_b the power probe 3 for test equipment. it does so much more than continuity.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Always gnd every light. Pwr and gnd. If you main gnd is nasty and rusty your not getting gnd signal. When you put you new lights on...how did you gnd them?