Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

advertising during summer

Has anyone had any success with advertising around this time of year? I'm not expecting an amazing response rate, just something better than .1%. Intend on using every door direct mail, design service, and 5k total. In the middle of hiring my first employee and trying to buy a zero turn so cash is SUPER tight, dont want to do it unless there is at least a chance of success. Would love an extra 3-4 accounts due to losing some deadbeats in the spring. Had great returns (2-5%) on flyers put in paper boxes but have never tried direct mail, much less in the middle of the summer.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The beauty of this business is that if your work is good enough, you don't have to advertise.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bump to top...interested in this as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well...

Honestly, if you've had the best response with flyers that you put out yourself then that is the route I would go again because you just said money is tight and I am pretty sure spending money on direct mail is unlikely to do the trick... We just don't know, direct mail is like anything else, you can hit the nail on the head or you can take a big hit, too...

That and I would put the Z off for a bit, I realize it seems as if everybody has one but truth is most old timers didn't buy theirs until later, financing is for the birds, for most folks it will only put us right out of business. Work is hard the first years but that's a fact, Z or not, it has as much and more to do with experience and how much work you have, sorry to be blunt but sometimes we just have to do what has to be done, we've all done it, you can believe that.

For example, I didn't buy mine until my 6th year, most Lco's don't buy theirs until their 8th...

You want to make it in this business, things will be tight in your first year, I would suggest either do more flyers and just hang in there, it gets better but it will likely be next year before things really improve, just have to hang in there, and I would pass out some flyers if you got the time.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Different advertising materials will get different responses always. Also depends on your area.

I have approx 700/postcards hitting mailboxes today. Most are going to one community, that yards are fairly too large push mow. Hoping to pick up 10 or so properties in that area. I'm going after lawns that the other guy can't keep up due to all the rain and high heat we have now. Also homeowners who are tired of the heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Different advertising materials will get different responses always. Also depends on your area.

I have approx 700/postcards hitting mailboxes today. Most are going to one community, that yards are fairly too large push mow. Hoping to pick up 10 or so properties in that area. I'm going after lawns that the other guy can't keep up due to all the rain and high heat we have now. Also homeowners who are tired of the heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the response guys, the reason i'm shopping for a z is because 10 of my accounts are 1-3 acres and my walk behind needs a lot of work. I could buy a used walk behind 2-2.5k or used zero turn 3k (48") and be more comfortable and more productive. i think I will just hit kinkos today, I want as many accounts as I can get but trying some more flyers couldn't hurt
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any type of advertising is better than no advertising. The key to make a name for yourself and a brand where people recognize your company.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well...

Honestly, if you've had the best response with flyers that you put out yourself then that is the route I would go again because you just said money is tight and I am pretty sure spending money on direct mail is unlikely to do the trick... We just don't know, direct mail is like anything else, you can hit the nail on the head or you can take a big hit, too...

That and I would put the Z off for a bit, I realize it seems as if everybody has one but truth is most old timers didn't buy theirs until later, financing is for the birds, for most folks it will only put us right out of business. Work is hard the first years but that's a fact, Z or not, it has as much and more to do with experience and how much work you have, sorry to be blunt but sometimes we just have to do what has to be done, we've all done it, you can believe that.

For example, I didn't buy mine until my 6th year, most Lco's don't buy theirs until their 8th...

You want to make it in this business, things will be tight in your first year, I would suggest either do more flyers and just hang in there, it gets better but it will likely be next year before things really improve, just have to hang in there, and I would pass out some flyers if you got the time.
That's funny. I bought a brand new Scag with bagger kit, a push mower, chain saws, a wood splitter, handhelds and a ton of other stuff, all in the same year. That was 6 years ago. It was all paid off 2 years later.

The reason most guys fail is the lack of a solid business plan. I went back to that a few times when I wasn't sure about something.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsworking View Post
Has anyone had any success with advertising around this time of year? I'm not expecting an amazing response rate, just something better than .1%. Intend on using every door direct mail, design service, and 5k total. In the middle of hiring my first employee and trying to buy a zero turn so cash is SUPER tight, dont want to do it unless there is at least a chance of success. Would love an extra 3-4 accounts due to losing some deadbeats in the spring. Had great returns (2-5%) on flyers put in paper boxes but have never tried direct mail, much less in the middle of the summer.
It's a small thing but be sure you cut lawns on Saturday. Neighbors are much more likely to see you and come over if they need something.
Posted via Mobile Device