Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Bugs & Exterior Lights

So I just bought my first home (yes a homeowner question) and I have two large flood lights, one on my house to illuminate the deck and another on the garage to illuminate the driveway. I love how bright they are, however my problem is the bugs! If we turn the light on for more then 5 seconds we've got 1.5 million bugs all over it which in turn get into the house.

I was wondering two things, what causes this and how hard it would be for a homeowner to swap out the light if needed. I believe they are just halogen flood lights, I can get pictures if so. Also if I can get one that is a motion light for the garage would be great!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once you get up to 1.6 million bugs then we can help.
Why not just install dual bright lights they are bright but small easy install. When no motion is detected lights are dim when motion is detected very bright. They will run about 45 bucks
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Once you get up to 1.6 million bugs then we can help.
Why not just install dual bright lights they are bright but small easy install. When no motion is detected lights are dim when motion is detected very bright. They will run about 45 bucks
The two lights I run right now are on switches, I'm not sure I would want them on all the time? Would you happen to have any links for further information?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

bugs

When I go to a clients house and see either clear glass lanterns near the sliding door, or worse, the 75-150 watt PAR floods or equivalent, blasting their deck, the first thing I say that gets them nodding their heads is.. " I'll bet you hardly sit out here at night because when you turn your lights on, all the bugs come".

In the landscape lighting arena, we use post mounted( not post top) styles of deck lighting. Low, waist level and lower, low power light source, no glare, in other words, no beaming out to attract the bugs.

Kill those garish flood lights .... try for something creative... better yet, hire a qualified landscape lighting contractor to get the job done right for you.

George
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLC RI View Post
When I go to a clients house and see either clear glass lanterns near the sliding door, or worse, the 75-150 watt PAR floods or equivalent, blasting their deck, the first thing I say that gets them nodding their heads is.. " I'll bet you hardly sit out here at night because when you turn your lights on, all the bugs come".

In the landscape lighting arena, we use post mounted( not post top) styles of deck lighting. Low, waist level and lower, low power light source, no glare, in other words, no beaming out to attract the bugs.

Kill those garish flood lights .... try for something creative... better yet, hire a qualified landscape lighting contractor to get the job done right for you.

George
Thank George, my thing right now is my deck needs replacement and some love. The plan is to put in a patio in the next couple years so I guess I was looking for something to get me buy until I could get a professional over to give me an estimate.