Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

New to lawn care and forums

Hey everyone! I have to admit that I'm completely out of my comfort zone right now. I'm a young educated woman and for the first time in a long time..nervous because I know very little about the lawn service business. My new husband has given me the courtesy of helping him find new customers and getting the business booming again. I'm scared ill fail. Please help me!!! Any tips or tricks you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I need some help with ways to get new customers, setting up a better scheduling and pricing system, and getting this business up and running like it once did.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What caused the decline in your husband's business? He should know how to turn it back around. If it fails, don't blame yourself, he can't expect someone with no knowledge of the industry to turn his business around for him.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
What caused the decline in your husband's business? He should know how to turn it back around. If it fails, don't blame yourself, he can't expect someone with no knowledge of the industry to turn his business around for him.
You're right but he's my husband and if he succeeds then we both succeed. I want to back him 100%. I'm a registered nurse so I am definitely out of my league. He started this business with his father. Last year, his father became too ill to work which is why they lost customers. My hubby still has his yards but he's so busy with work and taking care of his parents that he doesnt have the time to invest to grow the business.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I go door to door with flyers when I need business. Call satisfied customers and see if they can refer you to someone. Try to think outside of the box. In my flyers for residential customers I said send me a picture by e-mail, to me, of your lawn and I'll bid it on the spot. Unless there not good pictures, then always go out to the site. Saves money on travel as well as time. Worked for me.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffry7915 View Post
I go door to door with flyers when I need business. Call satisfied customers and see if they can refer you to someone. Try to think outside of the box. In my flyers for residential customers I said send me a picture by e-mail, to me, of your lawn and I'll bid it on the spot. Unless there not good pictures, then always go out to the site. Saves money on travel as well as time. Worked for me.
Thanks for sharing. Those are great ideas! What neighborhoods should I target? Is there anything to add onto the flyers that might increase the amount of responses? I haven't tried going door to door yet with this but have with other things, mainly benefits and fundraisers. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, targeting the wrong neighborhoods, or say something wrong. I've never had any good door-to-door experiences.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

It's hit and miss. I don't think your doing anything wrong. Are you trying to satisfy a quota? Selling a certain amount of jobs per month. If so, that's tough. By the way it takes a lot of flyers to get a response. I put out 150 and got only 3 jobs. Do you do hardscapes or any landscaping. Try nice neighborhoods for that. Also try homeowner associations for contracts. Anyway, Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

you should speak with someone in your area who has knowledge and maybe hire him to help.like a good mow preson looking to advance in his feild.