Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Member

www.CalebKnighten.com the good, the bad, the ugly?

Lookin for some feedback on my site

www.CalebKnighten.com
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks real good. You should however, show what area you service and your city, state on home page. Without digging into your text I couldn't tell where your from or what area you service. Sometimes your website will come up for people in different states and they might think you service their area , and waste your time. Has happened to me. Looks good tho. Don't see anything bad. Someone else might tho.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, I did see it way on the bottom, but it should be more easily seen in my opinion anyway.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

- From a branding and "having to explain it to a customer" standpoint, knightens.com is available to register. With your current domain name, you're adding in the "Well, our business is called this, but our domain name is this, which has word(s) in it that don't directly relate to our business name, so you'll want to actually go to www...", which creates a disjointed brand.

- Admittedly, this one is a bit more of a subjective view, but I'm not a fan of personal pictures, such as a high school grad or wedding photos, used to identify the professional business person who runs the company. I guess it does open the door for something fun, such as to show up mowing someones yard wearing your tuxedo. Gives the customer a chance to say, "Well, I'll be...I guess that is how he always looks.".

- Some of your content text, especially on the About Us page, is probably going to be a tough read for a good portion of your target demographic. Lighter text, on a colored background, with a white drop-shadow, in a small font, is probably going to be nearly unreadable for some people.

- On the About Us page, you talk about your varied job history, but when the math is done, you only graduated high school a few years ago. To me, coupled with as many "my lawn guy stopped showing up" stories that we know of, I don't think I'd put something out there that possibly gives people the impression "This kid doesn't know what he wants to do, at least until the next thing thing he comes up with, so how do i know he'll be here next season, or even next week?".

- Beef up your services content and explain what you do. Great for Google and your customers' education. Also, it says you do waterscape design/build. I don't see any pictures of that, which I would assume would be a point of pride.

- Create better "localized" content. A phone number and county names alone might not be sufficient for Google and customers to find you.

- Create accounts for the Big 3 locals of Google/Yahoo/Bing. Hit getlisted.org for other places to help build your off-site seo and footprint.

- Download, and digest, Google and Moz's respective beginner's guide to SEO and then go back through your site and upgrade your Title, H, etc, tags. Don't waste time on Meta Keywords. They died long, long ago.

- Read previous site reviews on here.

Best of luck and yell if you have any follow-ups or need anything clarified.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

One more... "We try to respond to requests within 24 hours. If you haven't heard from us within that time, feel free to call us".

"We try" and "if you haven't heard from us" is in no way confidence inspiring, especially when you append it with placing the reminder call responsibility on your potential customer's shoulders.

Many of us on here can tell you, with 100% certainty, that the first to call back often gets the job. At worst, it tells the potential customer that you do care and are professional enough to get back to them, even if only to tell them you need to reschedule the call.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

- don't "strive" to serve your customers in a certain way, do it. I've been striving to lose weight for three years.
- piggybacking off Tony's comments: 1) I've worked at just under 40 jobs since I was 14. I sure as heck don't mention that on my site. 2) I'm a big fan of small businesses making it about Brand You, but not feeling the wedding picture. Maybe if you and your wife worked side by side on every job, but that's not what the copy says
- I like the Why Us page, but #1... you left me hanging at the end. It's like when you leave a
- Licensed and insured - what license do you hold? It doesn't come up on a license search with DPOR
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
- don't "strive" to serve your customers in a certain way, do it. I've been striving to lose weight for three years.
- piggybacking off Tony's comments: 1) I've worked at just under 40 jobs since I was 14. I sure as heck don't mention that on my site. 2) I'm a big fan of small businesses making it about Brand You, but not feeling the wedding picture. Maybe if you and your wife worked side by side on every job, but that's not what the copy says
- I like the Why Us page, but #1... you left me hanging at the end. It's like when you leave a
- Licensed and insured - what license do you hold? It doesn't come up on a license search with DPOR

Thanks for the feedback. The license mentioned is my business license. Not sure where you're located but where I'm from there are tons of illegitimate "businesses" going around knocking on doors. Simply having a business license sets me apart.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
One more... "We try to respond to requests within 24 hours. If you haven't heard from us within that time, feel free to call us".

"We try" and "if you haven't heard from us" is in no way confidence inspiring, especially when you append it with placing the reminder call responsibility on your potential customer's shoulders.

Many of us on here can tell you, with 100% certainty, that the first to call back often gets the job. At worst, it tells the potential customer that you do care and are professional enough to get back to them, even if only to tell them you need to reschedule the call.

Tony, thanks for your time and feedback!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're offering landscape construction/installation, for which you need a contractors license in the Commonwealth. So saying you're licensed and insured could be considered misleading and you never want a prospect or client to feel deceived.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
You're offering landscape construction/installation, for which you need a contractors license in the Commonwealth. So saying you're licensed and insured could be considered misleading and you never want a prospect or client to feel deceived.
Touche. Thanks for pointing that out (sincerely). I didn't realize it looked that way and I've already looked into the process to earn such a license. I will likely tackle that over the Fall and Winter and be ready to go when I officially launch in '14.