Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Just ordered a 61" Cheetah-thoughts?

I just ordered a 61" Cheetah with the Kohler 34. I about drove myself crazy trying to pick the right engine brand and size. I feel like it's overkill but as i understand, it won't burn much more gas than the 27hp Kaw i was gonna get. What are you guys thoughts/experience with this mower or engine? Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi WL,

I had the good fortune to demo the Gravely 460 (Air Ride) and the Cheetah on a Tuesday and a Wednesday some two weeks ago. I cut half my yard with each one. I found that they cut equally well, but the 460 rode just a little bit better on my "very rough" property.

On the other hand I was quoted $2000 more for the 460 than the Cheetah. So I thought, "Why not purchased the Cheetah, take some of those savings, and get the optional Suspension Seat, and still save a chuck of change. So for better or for worst, that's what I did.

The Cheetah (along with the Suspension Seat) preformed very well yesterday for the first time. Allowing me to cut my 3.5 acres in under two hours (the official time was 1 hour & 50 minutes).

This First Cheetah experience cut our mowing time in half. (compared to mowing with a JD345 & 72"grooming mower).

The comfort and suspension performance of the Operator Suspension Platform and the Optional Suspension Seat was "over the top".

Yes, I'm totally pleased with the Cheetah (61" 31 Kawasaki)

Old 07-09-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Good deal! I have a very rough yard as well and was able to keep the suspension seat off my old hustler and plan on putting it on the cheetah if need be. Thanks for the input down there in Ragin Cajun country!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
Hi WL,

I had the good fortune to demo the Gravely 460 (Air Ride) and the Cheetah on a Tuesday and a Wednesday some two weeks ago. I cut half my yard with each one. I found that they cut equally well, but the 460 rode just a little bit better on my "very rough" property.

On the other hand I was quoted $2000 more for the 460 than the Cheetah. So I thought, "Why not purchased the Cheetah, take some of those savings, and get the optional Suspension Seat, and still save a chuck of change. So for better or for worst, that's what I did.

The Cheetah (along with the Suspension Seat) preformed very well yesterday for the first time. Allowing me to cut my 3.5 acres in under two hours (the official time was 1 hour & 50 minutes).

This First Cheetah experience cut our mowing time in half. (compared to mowing with a JD345 & 72"grooming mower).

The comfort and suspension performance of the Operator Suspension Platform and the Optional Suspension Seat was "over the top".

Yes, I'm totally pleased with the Cheetah (61" 31 Kawasaki)

Sorry to the OP for being off-topic, but did you ask the folks selling the Gravely to reduce the selling price? Like, mentionning the Cheetah and asking them how low they could get, or if they could match the price of the Cheetah ? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Pierre,

Oh Yes, I believe in bartering..... They offered me the 260 with the air ride seat for the same price as the as the Cheetah.

The problem was the 260 offered the 27 Kawasaki as it's biggest Kawasaki engine. I wanted at least 31hp.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
Hi Pierre,

Oh Yes, I believe in bartering..... They offered me the 260 with the air ride seat for the same price as the as the Cheetah.

The problem was the 260 offered the 27 Kawasaki as it's biggest Kawasaki engine. I wanted at least 31hp.

Hi Wilson,

thanks for your reply. Really interesting to see that Gravely was that flexible for the purchase of a single ZTR. I also got a fabulous deal on a Hustler FT SD 48". I know what you mean about wanting more HP, I was the same when I bought my 2013 Hustler. It is always better to have too much power than not enough.

Enjoy your new toy. Mowing ain't a chore anymore...
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a cheetah with the 34kh. I'm very happy with it. Only problem I've had is that the motor would put out a big puff of white smoke sometimes at start up. It has got a lot better as the hours go up. Maybe a break in thing I dunno. I get right at 1.5 gph with mine. My 24hp kawi which I think is really only 21hp gets 1.25 gph. So they are way better on fuel. When you get the mower wire tie the back body panel closed so no branches pop it off. Happened to the wife. I was a little sick about it but 5 mins with a rubber mallet and touch up paint it was good to go. Enjoy your new mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
When you get the mower wire tie the back body panel closed so no branches pop it off. Happened to the wife. I was a little sick about it but 5 mins with a rubber mallet and touch up paint it was good to go. Enjoy your new mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a Cheetah with the 31hp Kawa engine. I don't think I understand what you mean.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The back panel where cheetah is cut out. You have to open it to put the rops down. Got it? It drags the ground if it comes loose and bends when go in reverse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys.