Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Reel mowers

Im just trying to get some ideals. I service an area that has a lot if smaller burmuda lot's. I see some home owners that us reel mowers but not many of the landscape companies seem to have them. I was thinking of getting one and sstart marketing that I offer it. I currently have a 48inch walk behind and a exmark commercial 30. The 30 leaves a great cut on burmuda but just want to offer that next level of service.

Now how much more do you charge and can it work on a 7 day cycle. What type mower do you prefer. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How big are the lots and how many obstacles are in the lawn? A reel cut costs $100 per cut on average in my area for up to a 10,000 sq ft lot. The better your mower, the faster and easier the job goes. I currently use a Toro Greensmaster 1000 set up to do 1/2-3/4" mowing. This is a big improvement over a Tru-Cut. The second under a greensmower is a California Trimmer or a McLane. Those mowers have the reel speed fixed to the drive speed like a greensmower and the rear roller drive helps to keep the front end of the mower from lifting up.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a john deere greensmower and the doctor is right, you can get 60-85 per cut in our area for up to 8000sqft. Once every 7 days is pushing it but it can be done. Really needs twice a week cuts for bermuda to not cut the green out of it. With reeling, it opens up a lot more services if the homeowner wants a nice lawn, like sanding, topdressing, verticutting etc. it's a good market to be in but there are very few people that will pay for it. It wouldn't be my only service that I offered but kind of a side thing, cutting regular grass pays the bills because there is a vast market for basic maintenance. I enjoy it do I bought a high end mower for my personal property and I have picked up a handful since doing mine. I cut mine 3-4 times a week at 1/2 inch. In early spring-summer I can keep it a little lower than 1/2 inch, but you have to keep in mind that it requires a lot if water, fertilizer, and care to maintain at that height. It's getting into golf course management.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

People and neighbors love the look of a lawn cut with the reel mower. After about 4 years of trying to upsell this service, I gave up on it. Nobody want to pay for it long term. Just isn't worth it for most homeowners more frequent cutting, watering fertilizing etc. I still use my tru-cut with front roller from time time, mostly to take pics afterwards or during overseeding season to scalp Bermuda lawns to provide an adequate seed bed. If you can find people who like the look of it and don't care about the extra expense, go for it! I wasn't able to find them
Old 07-29-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yelp, there are few and far between. For me it was one of those things where I bought the equipment for my personal lawn and if someone wanted the service, I would tell them the price and they could take it or leave it. It doesn't hurt me either way because I have regular maintenance accounts to make my living.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should really drop down to a 5 day schedule or incorporate a growth regulator like Primo Maxx.

Since you are doing small yards, it has potential to be a good thing. Anything over 15k sq ft and it becomes something that most aren't willing to pay
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's help. How about pricing I have heard people say 30% more than with a rotary mower. I would not do it on a yard that the customer wasn't all in with a fertilizer plan and a sprinkler system that they actually use.
Posted via Mobile Device