Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is hope for the weather

Cool weather has been the dominant theme this summer and I love it! Maybe 4 days have hit 90 with most in the lower 80s. Drought conditions have disappeared completely with not overwhelming rainfall but timely rains of one or two inches at a time. Just wanted to share this with anyone currently dealing with drought or weather not cooperating as the last three seasons my lawns were either completely cooked, or barely hanging on for dear life. It took good September rain the last two yrs to revive things. The first four yrs before that when I started business , we had plenty of rain all summer. I truly believe what someone said before that these things go in cycles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have technically been in a moderate drought almost all this mowing season, but you couldn't tell it from looking at the grass, until now. Showers every few days with the occasional inch or two of rain has been keeping things green and growing, but our last rainfall was 3 weeks ago today, and things are slowing down big time.

Two years ago, I basically sat home the entire month of August until the remnants of hurricane Ike dropped 3 inches of rain on September 1, and it was like spring again within 2 days.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its dry here in Bamaland, I only have one house today, that wil bearly cover fuel expense for the day.

Its been a tough month, and next month is looking worse.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Historically speaking it seems to me the opposite is true, used to be hot and dry years were the exception.

In the last 14 years I've experienced two really wet years, a few so-so, and about 7 drought... Nowadays we get one wet year followed by at least two drought years, just as often than not it's 4 and 5 dry years in a row. Used to be the opposite, a dry year was outside of the norm, now it seems like it's becoming the norm.

This year wasn't too bad until summer hit, I would expect next year to be on the dry side as well, probably worse than this one.
Certainly I hope I am wrong but the farmer's almanac consists of what experience tells us, those of us who believe in this way of forecasting use our own recollection as an experience to foretell the future. Granted, we're usually right as often as the next person.

I like the cool weather too however I am mildly concerned what it's doing to the polar cap, because cold air coming off our end means hot air traveling up the other...