Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

trommel screening plant production rates

Hey guys,

I know there are a lot of variables with production rates and hourly rates but I am looking for a general idea.

Got asked to price a job to screen a decent amount of topsoil. Material has a small amount of sod, small rocks, and a very small amount of garbage. The plant ( if I get the job) will be a brand new Mc closkey 628 trommel. The plant will be loaded with either a Hitachi 200 or komatsu pc228 excavator and a john deere 444 loader to clean up. The plant will be parked right beside the pile, and if need be I will have a john deere 700 to push the material closer. I know the hourly rates for my machines just not for the plant. Any have an idea of a per hour rate and an hourly production rate for a plant of this size? Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't wait to sit down one day and have a beer with you Sean. You come across projects like I do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a nice Screen plant. We looked at one before we got ours. We ended up purchasing a keestrack deck screen. We screen primarily mulch, but because its a deck and not a trommel we can also screen nasty trash, rock, etc. I am doing a screen job this weekend screening a pile of concrete, dirt, c&d, etc all in a pile to get the good dirt out. As for your original question, there are many variables like you said, Screen hole size, is the material wet or dry, how "clean" do you want the overs to be. You can flood out the screen and get a lot of topsoil out the end and not through the plant. How much organic materials are in it, that will slow up the production a bit also. All that being said I would guess, and only guess, that you could get 150 yards an hour out of the machine.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Jacob! I would love to have a beer with you. Head to the Ritchie auction in Orlando in February I'm sure il be there! This is all part of some diversification I am trying to do with the company. I am looking to expand into environmental services, Brownfields remediation, contaminated soil removal, spill cleanups etc. Looking to hire a few really good key personell, and am constantly getting the name out there so I can bid these jobs. It is a really hard market to break into this market but I am finally making good progress. In the next 5 years I would like this to be 90% of our work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be in North Dakota in June of next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks For the help Kepple. How do you like your Keestrack? Sounds like you do some interesting work, should post some pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The keestrack is great, like I said we can screen a lot of different materials through it, and its on tracks so we can move it around the yard or on a job. It fits on our lowboy easily. When we regrind the mulch, we grind directly into the screen plant to remove the fines and make a better product. Our primary business is greenwaste recycling and land clearing. But since we have the equipment we do other things as well if we have the time.