Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2003, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

door hangers

in a few weeks i will be moving toward a marketing sector that has been touched very little by previous LCO's. in your humble estimation how effective are door hangers>vs< 1/4 page adds in the local journals. thanks for any input.kevin
Old 02-26-2003, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

here, this should keep you busy.... http://lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&ac...der=descending

From what I gathered, 1%-3% response rate. You do the math.
That response rate was based on one time hanging. I am going to hit around 1250 homes about 4 different times in hopes to get at least 20 more mowing customers and whatever I can get in chem apps.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-26-2003, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kevin, if you are targeting that one sector doorhangers should be much better than the ad. Say you have 800 houses in that area, and only half subscribe to that local paper. Then you will be lucky if half of those actually see your ad. If you pass out the doorhangers all 800 households will see them. Yes it is more leg work, but it should get you better results.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

door hangers

thanks coonman,advice well taken.i just found out about this local paper that gets into 15,000 homes/mailboxes bi-weekly.they have a space that measures 4 inces by 3 inches and for 6 issues( 3 mos) it's 129.50. that's not to bad.so i did a spring clean-up mulch add. buy 4 yards installed get the 5th at 1/2 price.? hows that sound.? thanks kevin.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good price. Are you targeting one area of town? The last thing I want is for people 20-25 miles away calling for estimates. With that ad and some doorhangers your phone should start ringing alot.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah, i thought of that

you know the first year is really weird, i already have a few interested parties,so i'm thinking one day "hmmm should i dump a bunch in add's? or should i kind of feed off the referras.? kind of worried about to much then one day "am i going to get enough.".; ) is that normal.? i can't wait to start this season.....
Old 02-26-2003, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would not worry about getting too much work, that is always a nice problem to have. You can always hire someone to help, or weed out the less profitable accounts. You will be surprised on how many referrals you get, and you will get some neighbors walking up when you are working asking you to bid there lawn. I would do your ad, some doorhangers and pass out business cards to everone you know. I am sure you will be adding new accounts every week.

Good luck

Steve