Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well...I've already did two walls this year and the one was half this size and took us two days. So...I'm guessing this will take four days from the time we run around for all the supplies to the time we back fill and blow off the driveway...crew of three...eight hours a day. Yes, they were huge in the 80s and it seems to be a lost art. Not many people want these now with the popularity of the black walls. However, I get calls to do them every year. Just want to get some feed back on pricing. I've made these walls with curved steps, built in benches, planter boxes. I think they look beautiful and give a softer feel to a retaining wall.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers
Western UniMount Plow
Buyers Salt Spreader
www.facebook.com/yardatwork
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardatwork View Post
Well...I've already did two walls this year and the one was half this size and took us two days. So...I'm guessing this will take four days from the time we run around for all the supplies to the time we back fill and blow off the driveway...crew of three...eight hours a day. Yes, they were huge in the 80s and it seems to be a lost art. Not many people want these now with the popularity of the black walls. However, I get calls to do them every year. Just want to get some feed back on pricing. I've made these walls with curved steps, built in benches, planter boxes. I think they look beautiful and give a softer feel to a retaining wall.
There's a few builders around here going with the "rustic" looking railroad tie walls. I think they blend in with the landscape well.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

ts always cool to know what the other guys would charge, but as all the years go on and haveing done this for so long getting old and tired in all honesty I don't give a rats ass anymore.I price a job out at what it directly costs me to do the job add a crap load on top of that. And that's what it cost. Done, no magic number juggling just my cost plus I will never mabey with few exceptions take a job below a certain % I do this by knowing how much it cost me per hr to keep the lights on. And price the job above that. Your bank account needs to be growing consistantly if it is not stop and find out why and fix that. I don't see any mention of drainage in your list don't forget that timber walls over time are not self relieving
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. I could care less what others charge. Yeah admittedly I am intrigued when someone works for next to nothing. But not to the point where I run back and change my numbers.

The longer you're in business the more you focus on solely yourself. The longer you're in business the more you know about what it takes to make a successful living. "Oh, pleasant view contracting wants to do that job for $3500 less???? Best of luck to them, They can have at it......"
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody got any flicks of some? I have seen some beauty's in my day....
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
I don't think so. How much do you buy it for?
Between $13.50 and $15

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardatwork View Post
I do these every year. I'm old school and simply like the look of these better. With the constant freeze and thaw of Pennsylvania winters I see too many block walls that shift around here. I only build the wood walls. Here's my question...from my research I see the $20 face square foot price INCLUDING materials. Ummm... I call bs on that. I'm doing a wall now and the square face footage is 150 feet (that doesn't account for hidden deadmen)...meaning tops $3000 labor and materials...materials alone are around $2000. Digging, cutting, drilling holes, pounding rebar, measuring, deadmen digging...these things are way more labor intensive than stacking block walls, which in themselves, are super intensive. Here is a recent estimate I did...am I way off in left field or are my prices competitive? Not many guys do these anymore so the word gets around that I do. I've done a few for friends and family with rustic wooden home setting. Now their friends and familes are seeing these and wanting them too. Well...we all know that the friends and family get cut price breaks. I've never really followed a standard pricing when doing for friends and family.

76 - 6x6x8 lumber = $1596.00
250 - 1/2"x1 foot rebar = $137.50
2 ton 1b gravel = $44.00
Tax = $106.65
Delivery = $200.00
Labor = $3420.00

Total = $5504.15
Tell me where you get your face foot figure from. You're way off on it. Its more like 300 face feet, not 150. So at $20 per face foot you're running a bit cheap. Do the math then you'll see.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Tell me where you get your face foot figure from. You're way off on it. Its more like 300 face feet, not 150. So at $20 per face foot you're running a bit cheap. Do the math then you'll see.
Based on the 76 pieces of lumber...304'...however...many of those will be used for deadmen. That is where much time is taken up...measuring, cutting, place, digging for the deadmen, drilling, and pounding at least one piece of rebar. Face footage doesn't include a hidden deadmen. That's why I think the $20 is way low.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers