Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long for 1.5 acres

I have to apply lime and fert to 1.5 acres, I know my material price and my hourly price but not sure how long it would take to walk 1.5 with a walk behind spreader. I'm thinking it could be done in about 2 hours so may price at 3 for the time it takes to load 30 bags into the hopper. Sound close to accurate?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would skip the fertilizer right now in Wisco... the heat is coming on and so accelerating top growth is detrimental to the health of the grass more so than beneficial... Are there also 'cides in that fertilizer???

The time is probably as close to accurate as needed and a good experience to learn the timing for your next estimate... I always charge extra when the h.o. insists on doing the wrong thing,,, but more often I just NEVER get around to it... I would take time for the lime but not have time for the fert...
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Straight fert. I'm not certified for cides yet. Fert is sn 18-0-18 recommended from the soil test I pulled on the property
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll hold the fert then for now. Plsnning on going back mid September once lime got into the soil to aerate and overseed so I will do fert then. Is there a standard mark up % for materials? This is for a friend so I'm not marking them up but for future reference. I know it costs me 4.25 on the truck to run for supplies from my house plus my time so do I use that or a standard percentage?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you mark-up materials for the job,,, then you become a retailer for Sales Tax purposes and you have to collect those taxes, report those taxes and would have purchased those materials tax-exempt using your Tax Number...
I never retail materials for that very reason... I simply receive reimbursement of my exact costs on the invoice... I charge enough money to run and make the purchase...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I walked a professional size baseball field once. It was 2.1 acres of grass inside the fence. I went over it twice in different directions. Took me just over 5 hrs fwiw.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
I have to apply lime and fert to 1.5 acres, I know my material price and my hourly price but not sure how long it would take to walk 1.5 with a walk behind spreader. I'm thinking it could be done in about 2 hours so may price at 3 for the time it takes to load 30 bags into the hopper. Sound close to accurate?
30 bags for 1.5 acres?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-12-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
30 bags for 1.5 acres?
Lime going down at 25lbs/1000
Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Lime going down at 25lbs/1000
Good idea. If I applied Lime at the soil test recommendation I typically get for soils around here, I would almost smother the turf.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Good idea. If I applied Lime at the soil test recommendation I typically get for soils around here, I would almost smother the turf.
What do they recommend there? 25lbs/1000 is what was recommended for this one. I did see the bag lists spplications up to 140lbs/1000