Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire question

My toro 3000 60" was in my garage I realized that the rear tire on the discharge side was totally flat. I took it off started to fill it with air then sprayed it down with soapy water to find the hole. I plugged it and then began to fill the tire the inside sidewall of the mower was bubbled out in a couple of spots and once i filled the tire all the way up the left side of the tire was bigger than the right side (misshaped). I know I need a new tire but I was curious as to what could have caused this? I'm sure this wouldn't be under warranty of the mower even tho it's only a year old, due to it being a tire. I didn't hit any big bumps or anything so I have no idea what could have caused this?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman41 View Post
i filled the tire all the way up the left side of the tire was bigger than the right side (misshaped). I know I need a new tire but I was curious as to what could have caused this? . I didn't hit any big bumps or anything so I have no idea what could have caused this?
I would love to see a pic of this.....You did fill it to what the OEM manufacture says ? Does it say 'made in china' on it ?

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes filled it to spec I will try to up load a picture tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe the bubbly water you used wasn't soap but some other caustic rubber-deteriorating chemical you found in the garage?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

No it was definitely dawn soap and water
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowerman41,

I have seen this several times with Carlisle tires on a specific model, but only with the low profile type tires (thin sidewall). While the equipment OEM rarely will do much if anything on a tire issue unless it is a fairly new unit, your best bet would be to contact the tire manufacturer directly yourself.

Typically the cause is from either being run under-inflated or an impact to the tire. What happens is either a cord has popped and or the plys of the tire started to seperate from each other.
The ones I have seen has been a "bubble" ranging from thumb size to golfball sized. The actual "bubble" will be very soft unlike the rest of the sidewall. I have asked the customer's if they had kept up with the tire pressure and naturally, the answer was always YES! However, when I was able to look at the tire myself it was plain as day that outer edges of the tread surface showed much less tread then in the center of the tire which is due to being under-inflated! If there is more wear in the center of the tread area then on the outer edges of the tire then it has been over-inflated.

Call the tire manufacturer, it never hurts to ask!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, the only time I have ever seen tires bubble is when they were run flat or nearly so and often times it may not take much.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I will contact the manufacturer. I check my tire pressure every week (I only mower 1 1/2 days a week and they are always were they should be.