Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The Gravely rides very good, but due to weight, longer wheel base, and flex forks the Super Z does ride better. I do think the implementation of flex forks on the Gravely would make a great deal of difference.

The longer wheel base and extra weight, which does make the Super Z feel more secure to the ground plays a part. With that being said, if the Gravely had flex forks, the ride would probably be close in comparison.
Hopefully Gravely will develop some FFs for their machines.

Have you ever noticed a dip in the front of deck if not careful when maneuvering, created 3 small half circles or at least an un even cut? You may not have due to never cutting bellow 3"
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Snyder's Lawn Inc;4816430]
Quote:
I honestly hope you did not say your lighter 72" Super Z will ride better than my heavier 72" Super Z due to the fact it is QUOTE]

I don't have a Super Z
I had a 07 Diesel 72'' it was heavier then my 06 72'' gas and the gas mower was softer and smoother ride then the Diesel 72''
Both mowers was set up with same features
His HD 72 is a totally different mower than his 66 XR7. One thing is for sure his 72 HD Super is the finest heftiest made Z I have seen.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I certainly get vibration (slight) through the levers on my SZ, and I religiously balance blades etc. I have a touch of white finger or HAVS and if I dont wear my glove my fingers start to tingle and get numb. I dont notice it through my feet or body but I'd have to go from one machine to another to really tell if theres a difference.
Id thought of making a vid (more to do with balancing blades) about vibration. I could unbalance a couple of blades, fill a glass with water and dye and put it on the deck, engage the blades and there would be a visual of the vibration. Then do the same with balanced blades and see what the difference is.

Im with Green about demos, no demo, no buy! Importers, manu's etc have reps that drive around going to shops. Surely they could do the same and tow a machine or 2. The old Hustler importers went out of there way big time for demos.
Surely its cheaper to loose "a little" on selling a machine on Craigslist or Ebay than to not make any sale at all!
Would you buy a new car or truck without a test drive? No chance!

I really miss the nimbleness of my old SZ. While the new kicks its butt on larger props, that smaller framed, lighter SZ was great on the small properties!
I dont know why they dont have a flex seat for the new machine, I miss it thats for sure. Seems to me there would be just enough room for one without the seat hitting the cooler.
I've been mowing with the 472, but before I began mowing, I started the 472 and the Super Z, got them both to 100% throttle with the blades engaged. I moved from one mower to the other while sitting approximately 30 seconds on each machine and concentrated solely on vibration. I never wear gloves and have never noticed any different feeling in my hands, or have never noticed any vibration in my feet or body.

I have said this many times and you reiterated it in your above statement. Your mind will not remember subtitles from one demo to another, the only true way to honestly understand the differences is to mow with one machine, get off, and begin mowing immediately with the other machine, this is the only really true test, and especially where feel is concerned.

I came to a firm conclusion that the Gravely 472 does have enough less vibration that I could tell a difference, but it was very small difference. I felt approximately 5% less vibration coming through the steering levers, and maybe 2% less through the foot pan. I felt no difference in vibration coming into my body through either seat.

I'm not sold on the dial a height, for some reason today I am having a very difficult time getting it to move past 3.25", is there something I'm missing on its operation?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been mowing with the 472, but before I began mowing, I started the 472 and the Super Z, got them both to 100% throttle with the blades engaged. I moved from one mower to the other while sitting approximately 30 seconds on each machine and concentrated solely on vibration. I never wear gloves and have never noticed any different feeling in my hands, or have never noticed any vibration in my feet or body.

I have said this many times and you reiterated it in your above statement. Your mind will not remember subtitles from one demo to another, the only true way to honestly understand the differences is to mow with one machine, get off, and begin mowing immediately with the other machine, this is the only really true test, and especially where feel is concerned.

I came to a firm conclusion that the Gravely 472 does have enough less vibration that I could tell a difference, but it was very small difference. I felt approximately 5% less vibration coming through the steering levers, and maybe 2% less through the foot pan. I felt no difference in vibration coming into my body through either seat.

I'm not sold on the dial a height, for some reason today I am having a very difficult time getting it to move past 3.25", is there something I'm missing on its operation?
Shouldnt be hard to move with the deck up. It does click into each setting but its not hard. I will personally never use the pin system again...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Hopefully Gravely will develop some FFs for their machines.

Have you ever noticed a dip in the front of deck if not careful when maneuvering, created 3 small half circles or at least an un even cut? You may not have due to never cutting bellow 3"
Honestly I do not want to see FF's on the 400 series, it doesnt need it. It rides amazing as is. I do not want my front end dipping or moving over bumps. I do not want my deck moving. I do need to try a super z but I still have a hard time believing it rides better on rough properties.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Honestly I do not want to see FF's on the 400 series, it doesnt need it. It rides amazing as is. I do not want my front end dipping or moving over bumps. I do not want my deck moving. I do need to try a super z but I still have a hard time believing it rides better on rough properties.
Fair enough, I can see your point, I certainly didn't like the front end dipping at times I didn't want it too.

Id love to hear your opinion on the SZ over some rough properties, shame its not the easiest thing to do, if only you knew someone nearby that owned one.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Fair enough, I can see your point, I certainly didn't like the front end dipping at times I didn't want it too.

Id love to hear your opinion on the SZ over some rough properties, shame its not the easiest thing to do, if only you knew someone nearby that owned one.
I think there is one Hustler dealer left in NH kinda near me. But after watching your vids(our properties are similar) and watching that super z 60" mow in person it doesnt share the same characteristics as the ferris or 400 series. It just doesnt look as smooth. But in the end my opinion is useless until I try one.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Puppy, my hand is very sensitive to vibrations from what I believe is all the years on trimmers. If I mow for lets say 30min without a glove then when Im done, I get tingling. You'll notice Im almost always wearing a (anti vibration) glove on my left hand in my vids. The damage is done and I will always have the problem.
The levers on the SZ dont vibrate much but its enough to cause me problems. A machine would need to have zero vibrations, and I mean absolutely NO vibration for me not to feel it.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Puppy, my hand is very sensitive to vibrations from what I believe is all the years on trimmers. If I mow for lets say 30min without a glove then when Im done, I get tingling. You'll notice Im almost always wearing a (anti vibration) glove on my left hand in my vids. The damage is done and I will always have the problem.
The levers on the SZ dont vibrate much but its enough to cause me problems. A machine would need to have zero vibrations, and I mean absolutely NO vibration for me not to feel it.
I may also be sensitive? Honestly I never thought my Scags vibrated much until I demoed the 400 series. Then after 3 months of demos I realized most all of the machines also transmitted vibration to the operator. Not just sitting still but in full operation. The hydros and even small bumps were being transmitted. I feel its a BIG deal when mowing as much as I do. I think Gravely hit a homerun in vibration dampening. Not only are the seat, foot platform and engine isolated even the control handles have adjustable rubber stops.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I think there is one Hustler dealer left in NH kinda near me. But after watching your vids(our properties are similar) and watching that super z 60" mow in person it doesnt share the same characteristics as the ferris or 400 series. It just doesnt look as smooth. But in the end my opinion is useless until I try one.
Just quietly, I already know the SZ wont give you a better ride then your 452. My interest is more based on how your opinion and comparison, I know you will get some forward to back jerking over those rutty props which you wouldn't be feeling on your 452.

I will sit and take notice tomorrow when I try the new 3100 for the first time, whether I can feel any vibration, not going to be able to compare as puppy is able. Theres some rubber pads that the rear of seat pan rests on, other than that no isolation that I can think off. I think another point to make would be how well the engine is balanced & how smoothly it operates, ie EFI would run a tad smoother than Carb. Probably just clutching at straws but a well balanced engine should give less vibration.

Mick, maybe no need as your AV gloves are helping you, but I'm curious whether you have thought about adding some rubber into the bolt on point of steering levers? Some off cut from Clarke rubber would do the trick