Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I think there is one Hustler dealer left in NH kinda near me. But after watching your vids(our properties are similar) and watching that super z 60" mow in person it doesnt share the same characteristics as the ferris or 400 series. It just doesnt look as smooth. But in the end my opinion is useless until I try one.
Go watch the video of the guy who bought a 60 HD and has the dreaded deck skip the 60 is reported to have. That is not a good ride. The vid is around here somewhere and the pre XR7 60 has no such problem.

How that problem got by Hustler reinforces what a poster on this board said about Hustler not testing their products enough because no way in hell should a 12,000 $ mower have a defect of that sort.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Just quietly, I already know the SZ wont give you a better ride then your 452. My interest is more based on how your opinion and comparison, I know you will get some forward to back jerking over those rutty props which you wouldn't be feeling on your 452.

I will sit and take notice tomorrow when I try the new 3100 for the first time, whether I can feel any vibration, not going to be able to compare as puppy is able. Theres some rubber pads that the rear of seat pan rests on, other than that no isolation that I can think off. I think another point to make would be how well the engine is balanced & how smoothly it operates, ie EFI would run a tad smoother than Carb. Probably just clutching at straws but a well balanced engine should give less vibration.

Mick, maybe no need as your AV gloves are helping you, but I'm curious whether you have thought about adding some rubber into the bolt on point of steering levers? Some off cut from Clarke rubber would do the trick
Good point on the EFI. I would also bet it runs smoother.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Go watch the video of the guy who bought a 60 HD and has the dreaded deck skip the 60 is reported to have. That is not a good ride. The vid is around here somewhere and the pre XR7 60 has no such problem.

How that problem got by Hustler reinforces what a poster on this board said about Hustler not testing their products enough because no way in hell should a 12,000 $ mower have a defect of that sort.
I will look for it. The deck is a very very heavy piece on any mower. When a deck moves that weight shifting is not good for the ride, hill stability and certainly not good for cut quality. Most manufactures are going to control rods instead of chains. Ideally the deck would be hard mounted but we all know that properties arent perfectly smooth...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post

By deck skip, is this the same way of saying deck bouncing, or lifting slightly over bumpy stuff? Can u post a link to the video
Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
By deck skip, is this the same way of saying deck bouncing, or lifting slightly over bumpy stuff? Can u post a link to the video
This photo is a prime example of deck skip, this has nothing to do with the decks ability to process grass and discharge it evenly, this is a low place where the 472 did not allow the deck to follow the contour and cut the grass in the low spot. You can look just above the middle of the picture just to the left of the big clump, and you will see grass not cut off cleanly in the little swag.

You can then look at the next picture below where the Super Z went over the same exact low spot with blades not being sharpened in 62 hrs, with flex forks operating, and the deck went down and cut the grass missed by the 472, and the entire cut as can be seen by anyone is by far much smoother.

Would anyone care to explain how this is possible, while remembering the 472 was brand spanking new, with perfect blades. Anyone got a thought on why the 472 deck did not go down and cut this grass?

I love pictures, they do not lie about what is actually taking place. You can put your pointer tip touching the center of the Hustler deck, then move straight back towards the front of the picture three lengths of the pointer, and that is where the low place is that the Gravely went over and left uncut grass in the bottom. The Hustler covered the uncut grass left by the Gravely with its even disbursal of grass clippings on the left side of the Hustler photo.

I think anyone can see that the VX4 cut is by far cleaner than the X-Factor deck in this common Bermuda.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did you re cut where was already done with the gravely?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Did you re cut where was already done with the gravely?
I think he did, I wasn't going to point it out to him but I think I know where your going with this.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I'd really like to see is a more accurate comparison. By that I mean, have the Gravely set up with the correct blades and the baffle adjusted for the conditions at hand. That would give a much more accurate and fair demonstration of their abilities. This may be hard to do since there doesn't yet seem to be high lifts blades for the 472 available, but the baffle can be easily adjusted. The two machines are set up for completely different mowing conditions as they are right now.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
What I'd really like to see is a more accurate comparison. By that I mean, have the Gravely set up with the correct blades and the baffle adjusted for the conditions at hand. That would give a much more accurate and fair demonstration of their abilities. This may be hard to do since there doesn't yet seem to be high lifts blades for the 472 available, but the baffle can be easily adjusted. The two machines are set up for completely different mowing conditions as they are right now.
I agree but would also like to see an uncut area, half cut with the gravely and the other with the SZ.

Also, you cant compare cuts if your just running over the same spot again.
Quote Puppy... "You can then look at the next picture below where the Super Z went over the same exact low spot with blades not being sharpened in 62 hrs, with flex forks operating, and the deck went down and cut the grass missed by the 472, and the entire cut as can be seen by anyone is by far much smoother."
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I agree but would also like to see an uncut area, half cut with the gravely and the other with the SZ.

Also, you cant compare cuts if your just running over the same spot again.
Quote Puppy... "You can then look at the next picture below where the Super Z went over the same exact low spot with blades not being sharpened in 62 hrs, with flex forks operating, and the deck went down and cut the grass missed by the 472, and the entire cut as can be seen by anyone is by far much smoother."
That's what I was going to say, but it sounds more valid coming from you anyhow.