Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good review so far, and it looks like you at least got to have some sun for a minute or two in some of the pictures.

Since it is so wet there, maybe try taking the baffles completely out and try it. IIRC, GMLC said it makes a better cutting deck in wet conditions.

I have to believe that your wider chute plays some part in the clipping dispersal with all the rain/wet. Also, you have high lifts on your SZ, correct? The sails on the blades are low lifts on that 472. I'm not sure what Gravely calls them, but my Deere low lift sand blades are identical looking, with both my medium, and high lifts having much more lift. I wonder why Gravely chose to use them? Maybe to keep from overloading the engine with that sized deck, though I find that doubtful after having run one of the FX921's for a few weeks.

Have you had a chance to check the engine RPM's yet? Most guys who cut for a living soon find out that the last few hundred RPM's can make all the difference in the world in QOC on any Z, as I'm sure you're already well aware.

Looking forwards to more reviews and pics.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im really pushed for time atm, but just briefly looked through your posts puppy & wanted to comment on that clumping! This is something Ive been very dubious of re: the X Factor, I would be willing to bet a lot of money that clumping is a direct result of the narrow chute opening, that's a big concern of mine with buying the 460!! Ive been waiting to see this & also want to test myself but unfortunately we're in middle of winter over here so grass is short and thin. However those clumps are very similar to what the VX4 is giving, the X Factor has a very similar "boxed" sections at the rear of chute as the VX4 & also such a narrow opening. I think that's the sole reason your 72" VX4 is giving a better discharge is the wider opening, as Ridin is suggesting above.

I look forward to reading through this properly this evening.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Puppy is the sail on the blades like the sail on my machine? It is hard to tell from that angle. If it is less then gravely installed medium or low lift blades for some reason. This is what the high lifts look like. I wish they were even higher to be honest.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your photos and review PP. Will be good to see the continuation of this.

Keen to hear what your thoughts are on the air ride seat.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Puppy is the sail on the blades like the sail on my machine? It is hard to tell from that angle. If it is less then gravely installed medium or low lift blades for some reason. This is what the high lifts look like. I wish they were even higher to be honest.

You folks keep asking questions, and I will check what you ask, it's good to have several thinking, hard for one old man to think of everything.

This grass has grown to this point in 9 days, just to give you an idea of how wet it is, and how much grass is growing. Like I said, this grass will grow extremely fast due to the nitrogen in ammonia form coming from the chicken houses via fans.

The common Bermuda is very thick, but does an excellent job of holding soil in place as a very good ground cover. It really looks smooth when in good cutting shape, but as GMLC mentioned this is not a manicured lawn type cutting situation, but in fact a mixture of grasses and weeds around poultry houses. I have a variety of areas with different cutting scenarios, which makes for a very good test ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Thanks for your photos and review PP. Will be good to see the continuation of this.

Keen to hear what your thoughts are on the air ride seat.
The air ride seat is wonderful, and takes a tremendous amount of shock away from the operator. The Super Z is giving a better ride, but I think this is for the fact of the flex forks working very well. They both ride really good, but I think the flex forks are making a big difference.

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-11-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Puppy I call you the mower god for a reason and you are the mower GOD. I may raze you a little because some of your behavior can be childish as stated but you love to get down to the bottom of things when it comes to mowing so in that regard thanks for all the info on all the topics and machines.

In no way in hell for what you do is that 472 a match for the current Super, you are just playing around with a inferior product when it comes to mowing acreage like what you do at Puppies Berry Patch and you know it.

In the end we will probably see the new Super HD DFI parked in the Patch garage.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Puppy I call you the mower god for a reason and you are the mower GOD. I may raze you a little because some of your behavior can be childish as stated but you love to get down to the bottom of things when it comes to mowing so in that regard thanks for all the info on all the topics and machines.

In no way in hell for what you do is that 472 a match for the current Super, you are just playing around with a inferior product when it comes to mowing acreage like what you do at Puppies Berry Patch and you know it.

In the end we will probably see the new Super HD DFI parked in the Patch garage.
How many numbers are you reallyslowly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You folks keep asking questions, and I will check what you ask, it's good to have several thinking, hard for one old man to think of everything.

This grass has grown to this point in 9 days, just to give you an idea of how wet it is, and how much grass is growing. Like I said, this grass will grow extremely fast due to the nitrogen in ammonia form coming from the chicken houses via fans.

The common Bermuda is very thick, but does an excellent job of holding soil in place as a very good ground cover. It really looks smooth when in good cutting shape, but as GMLC mentioned this is not a manicured lawn type cutting situation, but in fact a mixture of grasses and weeds around poultry houses. I have a variety of areas with different cutting scenarios, which makes for a very good test ground.

The air ride seat is wonderful, and takes a tremendous amount of shock away from the operator. The Super Z is giving a better ride, but I think this is for the fact of the flex forks working very well. They both ride really good, but I think the flex forks are making a big difference.
The pics you have been posting recently of your cut quality look immaculate. These really dont do any justice for either machine. I look foward to the rest of the review!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
How many numbers are you reallyslowly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Go get and enjoy your spindly cellophane 3100 mower BOY!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Go get and enjoy your spindly cellophane 3100 mower BOY!
Bet you can't wait to reach double digits and see 10 candles on your mummies home made bd cake!
Posted via Mobile Device