Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Did you re cut where was already done with the gravely?
Yes it looks to me like double cutting with the Hustler always getting the second pass. It also appears as if the clippings are being thrown in the same direction each time instead of a typical back and forth pattern. I would like to see the 472 cut puppy's typical areas we see when he posts his best super z cut pics(actual lawn), not bush whacking. These pics have been more of the "worst of" for both machines. I dont think either cut or disperse well in this junk grass.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
What I'd really like to see is a more accurate comparison. By that I mean, have the Gravely set up with the correct blades and the baffle adjusted for the conditions at hand. That would give a much more accurate and fair demonstration of their abilities. This may be hard to do since there doesn't yet seem to be high lifts blades for the 472 available, but the baffle can be easily adjusted. The two machines are set up for completely different mowing conditions as they are right now.
Shame about not having HLs available. Maybe puppy will have changed the baffles and report soon, as he was getting the info on best way to do it.

He has a good dealer, giving him a demo for so long like this!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here are some pics of me cutting Bermuda in Orlando, Florida.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
By deck skip, is this the same way of saying deck bouncing, or lifting slightly over bumpy stuff? Can u post a link to the video
A guy here in my town bought the new Super HD 60 back a few years ago and I asked him about the mower and they had the old XR7 model as well a 60 and he told me the new Super would bounce and skip the deck when mowing over rough terrain at speed and said he did not like the mower for this reason.

This was a fairly large service who owned Exmarks and Deere's as well as the Supers. Their favorite mower was the XR7 60 because it was the fastest mower and worked well on Bahia at full speed so they bought the new HD thinking it was going to be better at getting done quicker but they found out at speed the deck bounces and skips so they were not real happy with it.

The head of the crew was really pissed off and said most of the time the new HD Super is left at the shop because of it.

There is a video of it in action with the deck doing the HD shuffle floating around here. The new owner of this 60 HD machine is upset and angry about the mower doing it on them and they dislike it as well, you should be able to find it because there was several pages to it and I wonder if he got the problem solved. The 72 does not supposedly have this glaring defect but I noticed immediately when I demoed a new Super the chasses was stiff compared to the older machine and word was from talking to local dealers the old machine road better stock.

All the new HD models I have seen have flex forks and even the dealer demo I rode had flex forks and that was a Q to me something was up here with the new mower. It is definitely built but maybe overbuilt.

Last edited by Realslowww; 07-17-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
A guy here in my town bought the new Super HD 60 back a few years ago and I asked him about the mower and they had the old XR7 model as well a 60 and he told me the new Super would bounce and skip the deck when mowing over rough terrain at speed and said he did not like the mower for this reason.

This was a fairly large service who owned Exmarks and Deere's as well as the Supers. Their favorite mower was the XR7 60 because it was the fastest mower and worked well on Bahia at full speed so they bought the new HD thinking it was going to be better at getting done quicker but they found out at speed the deck bounces and skips so they were not real happy with it.

The head of the crew was really pissed off and said most of the time the new HD Super is left at the shop because of it.

There is a video of it in action with the deck doing the HD shuffle floating around here. The new owner of this 60 HD machine is upset and angry about the mower doing it on them and they dislike it as well, you should be able to find it because there was several pages to it and I wonder if he got the problem solved. The 72 does not supposedly have this glaring defect but I noticed immediately when I demoed a new Super the chasses was stiff compared to the older machine and word was from talking to local dealers the old machine road better stock.

All the new HD models I have seen have flex forks and even the dealer demo I rode had flex forks and that was a Q to me something was up here with the new mower. It is definitely built but maybe overbuilt.
I can sympathise with these guys as I had the same trouble with mine. One of the reasons I don't own it anymore. IMO the problem is due to the HyperDrives power. The 72" doesn't have the problem due to the extra weight of the deck & most likely the longer wheelbase would be a factor. Less ability to lift the front end.

Im certain this is partly the reason hustler offered a SZ without the large pumps!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Did you re cut where was already done with the gravely?
The picture you see with the Gravely is a one pass cut I am comparing, the next picture is a one pass cut with the VX4, there is no comparison to be made if you double cut over the same area with the same mower.

I ended up cutting this entire small area after the comparison with the VX4 due to the fact it made the common Bermuda look by far better, and handled, as I think anyone can see, the clippings much more uniformly.

There is no Bermuda in the other cut comparison pictures, and the X-Factor did a more exceptable job, as can be seen, but still not the cleanliness of cut as given by the VX4.

There is talk about the baffle loading up with grass on the Gravely, and chunks begin falling off; with this being some of the reason clumps are showing up. This is a brand new deck, no build up at the time of these photos, yet as can be seen, it is definitely not disbursing anywhere close to the evenness of the VX4.

We keep talking about setup, I've never found the need to change any settings on a new Hustler Super Z, they've always cut very good straight out of the box. Others are talking about all the changes that needs to be made, and yes, there are probably a few changes that would help, but I can never see this deck not clumping somewhat in the grasses I cut where moisture is involved. I think this can be eliminated for the most part (as with any mower) if you mow on a very strict schedule, and only remove small amounts of grass in one cut.

I actually got tired of watching the globs come from the X-Factor deck so I went and got my old 2006 Super Z and it did by far a much better job, and I cut until dark with extremely heavy dew.

One reason the new Gravely is giving a more bumpy feeling ride, of which I can tell is coming from the front end; is because the run-flats are of a much harder rubber composition, there are no flat spots when the Gravely is left sitting, period. I was cutting some areas yesterday where I really noticed the front end jarring a great deal more. This is not the mowers fault, but a fault of the run-flats being changed to a harder rubber compound.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Take the baffles off and cut. It will fan the clippings. The baffles collect grass if its wet that drops out of the deck and hits the blades. This is an adjustable deck thus the reason it has adjustable and removable baffles. If you read my XF2 review I said the down side is someone not adjusting the baffles correctly for the conditions. I recommended 1" down or even mid point for people who want to set it and forget it. In wet/tall conditions I recommended no baffles. This deck has to be opened up like the velocity for your current conditions.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Take the baffles off and cut. It will fan the clippings. The baffles collect grass if its wet that drops out of the deck and hits the blades. This is an adjustable deck thus the reason it has adjustable and removable baffles. If you read my XF2 review I said the down side is someone not adjusting the baffles correctly for the conditions. I recommended 1" down or even mid point for people who want to set it and forget it. In wet/tall conditions I recommended no baffles. This deck has to be opened up like the velocity for your current conditions.
You said it is very easy to remove the baffle, yet "Mag 360" says it's a pain in the butt. What exactly does this mean, is the 452 much easier to remove the baffle from than the 472, what is the difference?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The picture you see with the Gravely is a one pass cut I am comparing, the next picture is a one pass cut with the VX4, there is no comparison to be made if you double cut over the same area with the same mower.

I ended up cutting this entire small area after the comparison with the VX4 due to the fact it made the common Bermuda look by far better, and handled, as I think anyone can see, the clippings much more uniformly.

There is no Bermuda in the other cut comparison pictures, and the X-Factor did a more exceptable job, as can be seen, but still not the cleanliness of cut as given by the VX4.

There is talk about the baffle loading up with grass on the Gravely, and chunks begin falling off; with this being some of the reason clumps are showing up. This is a brand new deck, no build up at the time of these photos, yet as can be seen, it is definitely not disbursing anywhere close to the evenness of the VX4.

We keep talking about setup, I've never found the need to change any settings on a new Hustler Super Z, they've always cut very good straight out of the box. Others are talking about all the changes that needs to be made, and yes, there are probably a few changes that would help, but I can never see this deck not clumping somewhat in the grasses I cut where moisture is involved. I think this can be eliminated for the most part (as with any mower) if you mow on a very strict schedule, and only remove small amounts of grass in one cut.

I actually got tired of watching the globs come from the X-Factor deck so I went and got my old 2006 Super Z and it did by far a much better job, and I cut until dark with extremely heavy dew.

One reason the new Gravely is giving a more bumpy feeling ride, of which I can tell is coming from the front end; is because the run-flats are of a much harder rubber composition, there are no flat spots when the Gravely is left sitting, period. I was cutting some areas yesterday where I really noticed the front end jarring a great deal more. This is not the mowers fault, but a fault of the run-flats being changed to a harder rubber compound.
I'm with you that the 72 inch xfactor 2 deck is imperfect but your refusal to check the rear tire pressure or loosen 5 nuts is turning this review into propaganda.

The baffles on the new gravely deck are nearly identical to the anti-blowout kit we have on the hustler xr7 deck which increases lift and clumping. The stock position of these baffles is above the blade and level with the top of the sail - an arrangement that destroys the airflow from the sail that should be flowing into the front channel and causing lift and increasing discharge velocity. This, coupled with gravely's poor choice of blades, is ruining the performance of the mower.

The blades are what the factory specs and all they supply so we're stuck with them if we want a stock to stock comparison but the baffles are adjustable and should be adjusted to cutting conditions. When you lower the rear tire pressure the deck should also be re-pitched.

If I were gravely I think I'd ask the dealer to come out and do this for you.

If you're more comfortable with simply changing the blades you can pull the 62 hour hustler blades off of the super and mount them on the gravely without even sharpening them. This will raise the blade height and, with the higher sail of the fusion blades, will at least get some air flowing abover the baffles. I'll be trying this with scag blades at some point on ours for mowing in the rain - funny how scag or exmark blades cut better in the rain on every deck I've ever had
Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You said it is very easy to remove the baffle, yet "Mag 360" says it's a pain in the butt. What exactly does this mean, is the 452 much easier to remove the baffle from than the 472, what is the difference?
It's not physically hard. Just tedious to completely remove the carriage bolts only because you're using a wrench to back off nylon locking nuts 1/4 turn at a time. They are in the same location as the nuts on your xr7 front baffles.