Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You said it is very easy to remove the baffle, yet "Mag 360" says it's a pain in the butt. What exactly does this mean, is the 452 much easier to remove the baffle from than the 472, what is the difference?
5 carriage bolts. Thats it. Takes me 2 min. with a ratcheting wrench.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

At the end of the day, its demoing in the worst conditions.... long wet grass!
I know for a fact my SZ is absolute CR@P in that kind of stuff.
You cant really get a genuine idea of how things are working in those kinds of conditions.

Id just like to see a side by side cut on normal dry(ish) grass with a similar (stock) deck set up.
Just get the baffles to the same height off the blade sail should give a pretty good indication of how things are working!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I'm with you that the 72 inch xfactor 2 deck is imperfect but your refusal to check the rear tire pressure or loosen 5 nuts is turning this review into propaganda.

The baffles on the new gravely deck are nearly identical to the anti-blowout kit we have on the hustler xr7 deck which increases lift and clumping. The stock position of these baffles is above the blade and level with the top of the sail - an arrangement that destroys the airflow from the sail that should be flowing into the front channel and causing lift and increasing discharge velocity. This, coupled with gravely's poor choice of blades, is ruining the performance of the mower.

The blades are what the factory specs and all they supply so we're stuck with them if we want a stock to stock comparison but the baffles are adjustable and should be adjusted to cutting conditions. When you lower the rear tire pressure the deck should also be re-pitched.

If I were gravely I think I'd ask the dealer to come out and do this for you.

If you're more comfortable with simply changing the blades you can pull the 62 hour hustler blades off of the super and mount them on the gravely without even sharpening them. This will raise the blade height and, with the higher sail of the fusion blades, will at least get some air flowing abover the baffles. I'll be trying this with scag blades at some point on ours for mowing in the rain - funny how scag or exmark blades cut better in the rain on every deck I've ever had
I just got off the phone with the Gravely rep and was telling him GMLC (which he knows) seems to think the mower will do a much better job in my conditions with the baffle completely removed. He told me he had heard different information on how the baffle affected the cutting in wet conditions. He told me there were a number of these mowers being used in the Charleston, SC area, but they were cutting Bermuda and Zoysia really short, and the problem had not been mentioned.

By the way, there is 14 lbs of air pressure in the rear tires, and has been from day one.

He also made the statement that the 472 was handling 20" more cut width of grass than GMLC's 452, and this makes a great deal of difference as well.

I have never changed anything about my 2006 XR-7 deck, the fusion blades have been sharpened once, and since that sharpening they have 38 hrs on them. I took it out late yesterday and mowed until dark, and the grass was extremely wet, and a heavy dew had fallen. There was no clumping, and the 28 efi (much smaller engine) powered the mower to what I considered an excellent cut.

The hydraulics operated much, much, much more smoothly and easily than does the hydraulics of the Gravely. The Super Z is by far the smoothest operating mower of any on the market.

I think you operate both the Gravely and Hustler Super Z, do you not find this to be the case, with the Super Z being virtually effortless to operate? I feel as though I need to drive the Gravely, whereas the Hustler seems to drive itself due to the effortless feeling in handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
At the end of the day, its demoing in the worst conditions.... long wet grass!
I know for a fact my SZ is absolute CR@P in that kind of stuff.
You cant really get a genuine idea of how things are working in those kinds of conditions.

Id just like to see a side by side cut on normal dry(ish) grass with a similar (stock) deck set up.
Just get the baffles to the same height off the blade sail should give a pretty good indication of how things are working!
My 72" Super Z is doing a by far better job of no clumping and a more even grass disbursal than the Gravely, as can be seen in the photos.

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-17-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the Gravely rep and was telling him GMLC (which he knows) seems to think the mower will do a much better job in my conditions with the baffle completely removed. He told me he had heard different information on how the baffle affected the cutting in wet conditions. He told me there were a number of these mowers being used in the Charleston, SC area, but they were cutting Bermuda and Zoysia really short, and the problem had not been mentioned.

By the way, there is 14 lbs of air pressure in the rear tires, and has been from day one.

He also made the statement that the 472 was handling 20" more cut width of grass than GMLC's 452, and this makes a great deal of difference as well.

I have never changed anything about my 2006 XR-7 deck, the fusion blades have been sharpened once, and since that sharpening they have 38 hrs on them. I took it out late yesterday and mowed until dark, and the grass was extremely wet, and a heavy dew had fallen. There was no clumping, and the 28 efi (much smaller engine) powered the mower to what I considered an excellent cut.

The hydraulics operated much, much, much more smoothly and easily than does the hydraulics of the Gravely. The Super Z is by far the smoothest operating mower of any on the market.

I think you operate both the Gravely and Hustler Super Z, do you not find this to be the case, with the Super Z being virtually effortless to operate? I feel as though I need to drive the Gravely, whereas the Hustler seems to drive itself due to the effortless feeling in handling.
I can tell you that removing the baffles completely did help our 272 to discharge fewer clumps in wet conditions but the low sail blades still leave a lot to be desired. We ran it yesterday with the baffles back on and in the lowest position and the cut was crisper but it would lay clippings in the tire tracks of the previous row because the airflow was down low with the baffles. I'll set them to roughly level with the cutting edge of the blades when I next get the chance and expect this to yield the best results with the stock blades since this is how the pro stance deck is set up and it leaves an excellent finished product. The stock baffle setting is all the way up - I believe this is just the easiest way to set the machine up from a production standpoint since there's no need for the assembler to level them and they don't want to set them up all the way down because they will bend too easily if run by employees. It cuts the absolute worst in the stock setting.

I also agree that the xr7 super z had the smoothest, most comfortable hydro feel. The zt5400's are better when you come off of top speed though as there is little to no freewheeling feel when you start slowing down. The hustler always felt a little sloppy - especially on the left (hustler informed us that this is simply a characteristic of the system and they all do this). The hyperdrive had a hydro lever feel similar to the gravely IMO.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

If you're more comfortable with simply changing the blades you can pull the 62 hour hustler blades off of the super and mount them on the gravely without even sharpening them. This will raise the blade height and, with the higher sail of the fusion blades, will at least get some air flowing abover the baffles. I'll be trying this with scag blades at some point on ours for mowing in the rain - funny how scag or exmark blades cut better in the rain on every deck I've ever had
Can you actually do this? I checked out Oregon's website when I looked up those blade part numbers I gave you a few days ago, and according to them, the blades of one of these two machines/deck size is a lot different in length than the other, but I don't recall which was the longer of the two.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Can you actually do this? I checked out Oregon's website when I looked up those blade part numbers I gave you a few days ago, and according to them, the blades of one of these two machines/deck size is a lot different in length than the other, but I don't recall which was the longer of the two.
Oops - I was assuming the same blade length but I know vx4 super z blades are 1/2 inch wider than many others including vx4 blades for the X1.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

My 72" Super Z is doing a by far better job of no clumping and a more even grass disbursal than the Gravely, as can be seen in the photos.
I have put over 200 hours on my XF2 since spring. I have used the baffles in every possible position, in every possible condition. In wet conditions take the baffles off, simple. Open up the deck to process the grass faster. You are choking the deck cutting tall wet grass. In semi wet to dry conditions you can adjust the baffles for your desired lift but in wet conditions especially tall grass you need to open the deck up like the scag velocity.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Oops - I was assuming the same blade length but I know vx4 super z blades are 1/2 inch wider than many others including vx4 blades for the X1.
Ridin is right as per usual. Hustler blades are over 1/2 inch shorter and 1/2 inch wider. Strange that they would make a unique size 70-71 inch deck.

Scag, exmark, and I'm sure many others use the same 24.5 inch length that gravely uses but without the drop down.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ridin is right as per usual. Hustler blades are over 1/2 inch shorter and 1/2 inch wider. Strange that they would make a unique size 70-71 inch deck.

Scag, exmark, and I'm sure many others use the same 24.5 inch length that gravely uses but without the drop down.
For some reason I can't get Oregon's site to work right now, so check on the Deere 72" blades if you can. I know they have the drop down/humped center like a Gravely, and look almost identical. I can't recall if I checked them the other night or not. They are 3"W x .250" thick, and come in high lift configuration, maybe they'd work out for you.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I have put over 200 hours on my XF2 since spring. I have used the baffles in every possible position, in every possible condition. In wet conditions take the baffles off, simple. Open up the deck to process the grass faster. You are choking the deck cutting tall wet grass. In semi wet to dry conditions you can adjust the baffles for your desired lift but in wet conditions especially tall grass you need to open the deck up like the scag velocity.
I think the low lift blades might leave this particular deck wanting some baffle. The discharge velocity is a little light and that seems to be more of a problem that the deck loading up. It feels like the xf1 we have running at about 3/4 throttle. I may have a chance to get under ours today and try the adjustment I think will help but the nest set of blades will be from scag. That's what I really expect to help.