Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
For some reason I can't get Oregon's site to work right now, so check on the Deere 72" blades if you can. I know they have the drop down/humped center like a Gravely, and look almost identical. I can't recall if I checked them the other night or not. They are 3"W x .250" thick, and come in high lift configuration, maybe they'd work out for you.
Thanks - I sold our 757 a while back and forgot about those blades.

Looks like they are 25 long by 3 wide - what a shame. Spacers should do the trick though. I remember being frustrated that the scag blades wouldn't fit the Deere.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
I think the low lift blades might leave this particular deck wanting some baffle. The discharge velocity is a little light and that seems to be more of a problem that the deck loading up. It feels like the xf1 we have running at about 3/4 throttle. I may have a chance to get under ours today and try the adjustment I think will help but the nest set of blades will be from scag. That's what I really expect to help.
This could be totally true. But to not take a few minutes to try the baffles off and in different positions is strange to say the least...or even comparing the cut on the lawn I see his super z cut pics on.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
This could be totally true. But to not take a few minutes to try the baffles off and in different positions is strange to say the least...or even comparing the cut on the lawn I see his super z cut pics on.
True and the top position is worst. I think I remember him saying he had back issues at one point so maybe that's what is stopping him from doing it.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
True and the top position is worst. I think I remember him saying he had back issues at one point so maybe that's what is stopping him from doing it.
If thats the case Im a jerk and apologize. Its not worth getting hurt over. But still would like to see a fair comparision on a lawn thats halfway decent.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I can sympathise with these guys as I had the same trouble with mine. One of the reasons I don't own it anymore. IMO the problem is due to the HyperDrives power. The 72" doesn't have the problem due to the extra weight of the deck & most likely the longer wheelbase would be a factor. Less ability to lift the front end.

Im certain this is partly the reason hustler offered a SZ without the large pumps!
Definitely for what Puppy does and his style mowing the HD 72 is the best mower on the market I think by far but most do not need that much mower, even Mchippy misses the smaller package for more compact jobs.

If you get a Super HD the 72 is the one to get other than that for most a different style 60 would probably be better?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What's stopping me from removing the baffle is I'm not sure Gravely wants me taking a new mower and making physical changes to their machine, and this is the reason I have the rep looking into the situation. He is supposedly calling me back, and I would think maybe today.

I can't believe this weather, it was again raining this morning at 7:00 am, and when I looked at the radar there appeared to be no rain within 100 miles except for one small area, and this was over and around me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Definitely for what Puppy does and his style mowing the HD 72 is the best mower on the market I think by far but most do not need that much mower, even Mchippy misses the smaller package for more compact jobs.

If you get a Super HD the 72 is the one to get other than that for most a different style 60 would probably be better?
I talked with a gentleman yesterday that had been running his own lawn business for 18 yrs., and he preferred his 2012 60" Huslter Super Z over all other mowers, and he had an Exmark and Scag on his trailer, so what this means is depending on what part of the country you mow in has bearing on which mower one may prefer.

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Puppy are you working with Jim?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Puppy are you working with Jim?
No, his name is Rob Strife from SC...
Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
No, his name is Rob Strife from SC...
Doesnt ring a bell. I have worked with Jim Becker. Thought maybe he was the district manager around you.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What's stopping me from removing the baffle is I'm not sure Gravely wants me taking a new mower and making physical changes to their machine, and this is the reason I have the rep looking into the situation. He is supposedly calling me back, and I would think maybe today.

I can't believe this weather, it was again raining this morning at 7:00 am, and when I looked at the radar there appeared to be no rain within 100 miles except for one small area, and this was over and around me.

I talked with a gentleman yesterday that had been running his own lawn business for 18 yrs., and he preferred his 2012 60" Huslter Super Z over all other mowers, and he had an Exmark and Scag on his trailer, so what this means is depending on what part of the country you mow in has bearing on which mower one may prefer.
One thing is for sure that deck skip is real on the 60, we saw it with our own 2 eyes here on Candid Camera.