Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure why a Gravely rep would say something that ignorant about a product that they are trying to market and sell. It makes no sense to me for him to do that. It is something that most LCO's would be willing "to fool with", but maybe not so much a homeowner? These machines however, are marketed to LCO's way more than they are HO's of any type.

I really hope they let you keep it a few more days, and that even though you'll still have those blades to contend with, you can try adjusting the front baffle for a more accurate comparison.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Thanks for the review, dam shame about the wet conditions & shame you didn't have time to remove the baffles & no option for HL blades either.

I thought you would have felt a better ride with the air seat, since u didn't, im thinking the longer wheel base on the hustler would be playing the biggest part in this. Do you know the length diff? Ill look for it if u don't know. Ive never found a difference in ride quality from hustlers FFs or no flats, Im sure there is but not as considerable as a longer wheelbase.

The integrated brake is a very good feature, I will miss that, its one extra thing to do & just today there would be half a dozen times I couldn't get the brake on quick enough without rolling back. That cant be too great on the hydros, the alternative is pull the hand brake on with levers out and let the engine kill itself that way. But mostly just getting off to open a gate or pick up big sticks, so don't actually want to kill the engine!

Id say if your feeling like you have to drive the Gravely more so than the SZ, it would only be due to a different in steering dampers wouldn't you? Maybe a little less pressure in them would make it a little easier
The steering is only a preference thing, and I feel assured the dampeners play a big part. I doubt you've ever run the older Super Z, of which mine has all new components, but it is an effortless feel of operation.

My wife loves the 2006 yr model Super Z, she makes the statement to others that the new mower feels too big, and "her" little mower operates more easily. You would love the operation of the big mower on the property I cut, but you would also love the feel and operation of the smaller Super Z as well, especially with the flex forks and flex seat. The mower rides and handles wonderfully, and as I have said before, I jump on the smaller mower as much or moreso than the 72.

I can tell you this without reservation, I've got 3 top of the line mowers sitting at my house, and if I walked outside while knowing I owned all 3, the one I would choose to mow with will be one of the Hustlers.

The Gravely has it's place as with GMLC, but not with me cutting large open areas of diverse grasses and weeds, especially where I need to cut a great deal of grass as fast as possible, and with a clean cut, where no grass is left standing.

This is the performance I get with my Super Z mowers in my area of cutting, if this were not a fact, I would own different mowers.

I do like the air seat, but cannot tell enough difference to know if it would be a really helpful change on my mower. I'd say it definitely would be beneficial if not running the flex forks, but there again, the only way to truly get a feel for difference in mowers is to get directly off one machine, and on to another. I would need to have my mower the way it's set up, and another mower the same as mine with the air seat, cut a couple of long passes in reasonably rough terrain with one machine, then change immediately to get a feeling for the difference.

You would be amazed at how you forget the actual comparison between two mowers if not compared immediately, your mind and body does not retain really accurate information where feel and sound is concerned.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler Nazi!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The steering is only a preference thing, and I feel assured the dampeners play a big part. I doubt you've ever run the older Super Z, of which mine has all new components, but it is an effortless feel of operation.

My wife loves the 2006 yr model Super Z, she makes the statement to others that the new mower feels too big, and "her" little mower operates more easily. You would love the operation of the big mower on the property I cut, but you would also love the feel and operation of the smaller Super Z as well, especially with the flex forks and flex seat. The mower rides and handles wonderfully, and as I have said before, I jump on the smaller mower as much or moreso than the 72.

I can tell you this without reservation, I've got 3 top of the line mowers sitting at my house, and if I walked outside while knowing I owned all 3, the one I would choose to mow with will be one of the Hustlers.

The Gravely has it's place as with GMLC, but not with me cutting large open areas of diverse grasses and weeds, especially where I need to cut a great deal of grass as fast as possible, and with a clean cut, where no grass is left standing.

This is the performance I get with my Super Z mowers in my area of cutting, if this were not a fact, I would own different mowers.

I do like the air seat, but cannot tell enough difference to know if it would be a really helpful change on my mower. I'd say it definitely would be beneficial if not running the flex forks, but there again, the only way to truly get a feel for difference in mowers is to get directly off one machine, and on to another. I would need to have my mower the way it's set up, and another mower the same as mine with the air seat, cut a couple of long passes in reasonably rough terrain with one machine, then change immediately to get a feeling for the difference.

You would be amazed at how you forget the actual comparison between two mowers if not compared immediately, your mind and body does not retain really accurate information where feel and sound is concerned.
This is a good point, but more for determining the difference in small detail. However if you operate a mower continuously for 1.5hrs over rutted terrain for yrs, then you take a different machine to this place, you will know right away if your getting a better ride, even if it were weeks before riding on the other machine. But I get your point, its just this is only going to help with subtle changes in ride quality.

I also think you have the right machine for you. I have had a short ride on the 72" you own & it did give a better ride than the 60" I used to own, both using the same FFs & run flats (so the longer wheelbase and weight were the reason). Also with your relatively smooth stuff, the majority of it anyhow. Its in your interest to cut grass as efficiently as possible, as is most of us. So if the SZ does this for you, then the best thing you can do is own one.

Did the dealer collect the 472? maybe when the rain has nicked off & things dry out, you'll get another opportunity.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lets face it. The super Z's are a southern mower. It has been proven over and over again they do not cut worth a crap in northern turf right here on this forum. In all of my years doing this work I have seen a grand total of TWO (2) hustlers ever and I see at least 15+ crews a day while I am out and about working. From the pictures I have seen in this thread neither mower produces an acceptable cut in those conditions. Leave that much debris on top of the turf even if it is distributed out evenly and your azz would be gone and the next lawn jocky down the street would be cutting your lawn.

What it boils down to is remove the baffles and install high lifts and the gravely will discharge much like the hustler (and scag) in those conditions. It is really a non comparison if they are not setup very similar. The way they come setup is much more suited for northern turf. Maybe this is something Gravely might consider outlining in the manual. Give a guideline on how the deck should be set for different types of turf. Why Gravely decided to put low lift blades on the 72 is beyond me. That is absolutely stupid and ignorant if you ask me. I would NEVER use anything less than a high lift. I actually wish Gravely would offer a super high lift. For me on northern turf anyway the more lift the better. That is the reason the Ultra cut deck dominates northern turf. If you are not careful the Ultra Cut will suck up a small child from 10 feet away. It is the only deck on the market that creates THAT much vacuum. BUT all the vacuum does have some downsides.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Lets face it. The super Z's are a southern mower. It has been proven over and over again they do not cut worth a crap in northern turf right here on this forum. In all of my years doing this work I have seen a grand total of TWO (2) hustlers ever and I see at least 15+ crews a day while I am out and about working. From the pictures I have seen in this thread neither mower produces an acceptable cut in those conditions. Leave that much debris on top of the turf even if it is distributed out evenly and your azz would be gone and the next lawn jocky down the street would be cutting your lawn.

What it boils down to is remove the baffles and install high lifts and the gravely will discharge much like the hustler (and scag) in those conditions. It is really a non comparison if they are not setup very similar. The way they come setup is much more suited for northern turf. Maybe this is something Gravely might consider outlining in the manual. Give a guideline on how the deck should be set for different types of turf. Why Gravely decided to put low lift blades on the 72 is beyond me. That is absolutely stupid and ignorant if you ask me. I would NEVER use anything less than a high lift. I actually wish Gravely would offer a super high lift. For me on northern turf anyway the more lift the better. That is the reason the Ultra cut deck dominates northern turf. If you are not careful the Ultra Cut will suck up a small child from 10 feet away. It is the only deck on the market that creates THAT much vacuum. BUT all the vacuum does have some downsides.
There is no mower made that would make that amount of wet clippings disappear, so you may as well get that out of your mind, it is totally impossible. Your Gravely without the baffle would leave the same blanket of clippings, but with hopefully less clumping, and with the baffle it would leave the same clumps you see the 472 leaving.

You don't realize how much grass was being processed through this 72" cut pass, and for you to think you've ever owned any mower that would make that amount of clippings disappear is totally ludicrous.

No, you may not leave it in that condition and still have a job, but you would be making arrangements for a different look. The Exmark UltraCut will cut the clippings into much smaller lengths, but there is nowhere it can deposit that amount of grass and it not be noticeable. The UltraCut deck would have a terrible time trying to remove that much grass from underneath its deck, you would be force to slow down to a snails pace for the UltraCut to process and disburse that amount of grass.

You honestly have no idea of how thick this grass is, but if you can imagine applying nitrogen to Bermuda on a weekly basis, as is coming out of the chicken houses in ammonia form, then watering heavily everyday, you may get an idea of how thick and fast this Bermuda is growing, but then again I doubt you have Bermuda grass in your area. So with no experience at this type cutting, it is impossible to make informative statements on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
From the link Mick provided, here is a video of the 472 in action-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Beu1kbw-Ak
Ridin, you speak truthfully, would you not agree based on this video that any mower carrying a deck could cut this short grass while taking such a small amount off and make it look good to the eyes of anyone that knows anything about mowing?

He is not discharging enough grass to give any deck a problem, you could take a 72" mower with a 20 hp engine and cut what is being mowed in this video.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree I wasn't saying those changes would make it all better. I was saying those changes would make it work about the same as the hustler. What you are cutting needs to be on a maximum of 7 day cutting rotation and more realistic to get a good clean cut from any mower a 4 to 5 day rotation but I know that is not really feasible in your situation.

Quote:
There is no mower made that would make that amount of wet clippings disappear, so you may as well get that out of your mind, it is totally impossible. Your Gravely without the baffle would leave the same blanket of clippings, but with hopefully less clumping, and with the baffle it would leave the same clumps you see the 472 leaving.

You don't realize how much grass was being processed through this 72" cut pass, and for you to think you've ever owned any mower that would make that amount of clippings disappear is totally ludicrous.

No, you may not leave it in that condition and still have a job, but you would be making arrangements for a different look. The Exmark UltraCut will cut the clippings into much smaller lengths, but there is nowhere it can deposit that amount of grass and it not be noticeable. The UltraCut deck would have a terrible time trying to remove that much grass from underneath its deck, you would be force to slow down to a snails pace for the UltraCut to process and disburse that amount of grass.

You honestly have no idea of how thick this grass is, but if you can imagine applying nitrogen to Bermuda on a weekly basis, as is coming out of the chicken houses in ammonia form, then watering heavily everyday, you may get an idea of how thick and fast this Bermuda is growing, but then again I doubt you have Bermuda grass in your area. So with no experience at this type cutting, it is impossible to make informative statements on the subject.

Ridin, you speak truthfully, would you not agree based on this video that any mower carrying a deck could cut this short grass while taking such a small amount off and make it look good to the eyes of anyone that knows anything about mowing?

He is not discharging enough grass to give any deck a problem, you could take a 72" mower with a 20 hp engine and cut what is being mowed in this video.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I agree I wasn't saying those changes would make it all better. I was saying those changes would make it work about the same as the hustler. What you are cutting needs to be on a maximum of 7 day cutting rotation and more realistic to get a good clean cut from any mower a 4 to 5 day rotation but I know that is not really feasible in your situation.
You are 100% correct, and one of the reasons I've been cutting on an average of every 6 days until the last 3 wks., now I have grass that has not been mowed in over 2 wks. and it's half knee high.

It rained close to 1" again yesterday, and I just finishing cutting 1 1/2 ac. with the Gravely, and was tracking in many places, too many places. I am dealing with the worst cutting situation I've ever dealt with. I've got one spot 30' x 30' that has not been dry enough to cut all year, and I've never seen this in the 32 yrs. I've mowed the area. It is a wet weather spring head, but it has always dried out enough to cut by the first of June, but not this year, and the way it's going it may not get cut period.

I cut with the dial set on 3", and just went outside and measured the cutting edge of the blade at the discharge opening. From the concrete to the blades cutting edge measured 2 5/8". Am I missing something, has anyone else measured to see how the dial-a-height coincides with the actual cutting height? This mower does not appear to be cutting grass that low, normally with a cut that low it would not miss grass, and when I drop the dial to 2.75" it cuts much, much cleaner. Anyone checked and compared these measurements before?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The measurements, contrary to popular belief do not coincide with a measurements of inches. My Scags, when set at 4 actually mow at 3.75. It was the same with my Toros and Exmarks.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

That was pretty easy cutting no doubt, and any commercial Z could do the same thing there.

I posted that not so much to show its QOC, as I did to show the ride the operator was getting while on it, and the machine in action in general for those curious about the 472, which is much less commonly seen on LCO trailers than the more common 60" machines.