Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You are 100% correct, and one of the reasons I've been cutting on an average of every 6 days until the last 3 wks., now I have grass that has not been mowed in over 2 wks. and it's half knee high.

It rained close to 1" again yesterday, and I just finishing cutting 1 1/2 ac. with the Gravely, and was tracking in many places, too many places. I am dealing with the worst cutting situation I've ever dealt with. I've got one spot 30' x 30' that has not been dry enough to cut all year, and I've never seen this in the 32 yrs. I've mowed the area. It is a wet weather spring head, but it has always dried out enough to cut by the first of June, but not this year, and the way it's going it may not get cut period.

I cut with the dial set on 3", and just went outside and measured the cutting edge of the blade at the discharge opening. From the concrete to the blades cutting edge measured 2 5/8". Am I missing something, has anyone else measured to see how the dial-a-height coincides with the actual cutting height? This mower does not appear to be cutting grass that low, normally with a cut that low it would not miss grass, and when I drop the dial to 2.75" it cuts much, much cleaner. Anyone checked and compared these measurements before?
When I run the factory recommended rear tire pressure mine is dead on. When I run 10-12 psi its a 1/4" lower than the dial.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The dial for the HOC on my Deere was close when I got it, but I adjusted it so that it is now right on at any height setting.

Aren't the Gravely's adjustable too?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The dial for the HOC on my Deere was close when I got it, but I adjusted it so that it is now right on at any height setting.

Aren't the Gravely's adjustable too?
Yes, I have since adjusted my pitch and dial for my preferred tire pressure
Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Yes, I have since adjusted my pitch and dial for my preferred tire pressure
That's good to know. I thought they must be, but wasn't sure.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for that vid Ridin, I dont know how I missed it. Really does show how good that seat is.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Thanks for that vid Ridin, I dont know how I missed it. Really does show how good that seat is.
My pleasure mate!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Lets face it. The super Z's are a southern mower. It has been proven over and over again they do not cut worth a crap in northern turf right here on this forum. In all of my years doing this work I have seen a grand total of TWO (2) hustlers ever and I see at least 15+ crews a day while I am out and about working. From the pictures I have seen in this thread neither mower produces an acceptable cut in those conditions. Leave that much debris on top of the turf even if it is distributed out evenly and your azz would be gone and the next lawn jocky down the street would be cutting your lawn.

What it boils down to is remove the baffles and install high lifts and the gravely will discharge much like the hustler (and scag) in those conditions. It is really a non comparison if they are not setup very similar. The way they come setup is much more suited for northern turf. Maybe this is something Gravely might consider outlining in the manual. Give a guideline on how the deck should be set for different types of turf. Why Gravely decided to put low lift blades on the 72 is beyond me. That is absolutely stupid and ignorant if you ask me. I would NEVER use anything less than a high lift. I actually wish Gravely would offer a super high lift. For me on northern turf anyway the more lift the better. That is the reason the Ultra cut deck dominates northern turf. If you are not careful the Ultra Cut will suck up a small child from 10 feet away. It is the only deck on the market that creates THAT much vacuum. BUT all the vacuum does have some downsides.
I couldn't agree more...You also have quite a few hours on the XF2.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In all honesty there are a number of companies here that achieve good results with the vx4. One of them is a member on plow site and maybe here too that mows right next to us in a neighborhood with three supers and the final product is very nice - they may be double cutting though.

Another is one of the biggest "small" companies around here with at least three full mowing crews and they do excellent work with x1's - all 60 I think. They definitely take their time and double cut on occasion and tend to repeat 1 or 2 striping patterns on all properties but it does show me you can make that deck work in moderate conditions.

A buddy of mine has a 2011 super 37/72 - I'll see if he wants to swap for a lawn or two when our schedules slow down so we can get a northern grass comparison. We did have a 60 for a few days when they first came out and it was a clump master
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
In all honesty there are a number of companies here that achieve good results with the vx4. One of them is a member on plow site and maybe here too that mows right next to us in a neighborhood with three supers and the final product is very nice - they may be double cutting though.

Another is one of the biggest "small" companies around here with at least three full mowing crews and they do excellent work with x1's - all 60 I think. They definitely take their time and double cut on occasion and tend to repeat 1 or 2 striping patterns on all properties but it does show me you can make that deck work in moderate conditions.

A buddy of mine has a 2011 super 37/72 - I'll see if he wants to swap for a lawn or two when our schedules slow down so we can get a northern grass comparison. We did have a 60 for a few days when they first came out and it was a clump master
There are a couple crews that have come into my area this year that run SZ's. The places I see them mowing usually are neither high end, nor low end properties, just you average decent lawns. They leave a decent cut when dry, but leave clumps when there's any wetness at all, and that is when only taking off around 3-3.5". That makes no sense to me since the deck is so wide open, but it must have something to do with that rear discharge opening area that is causing Mick so much trouble. They are all 60" decks. They don't seem to stripe worth spit though for some reason, and almost any brand of Z will at least stripe a little bit on the turf around here. Not sure why that should be the way it is with the SZ's though. I've never had a chance to stop and talk with these guys yet, but I will if I ever get a chance.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Strange - these leave a great stripe. Power pro (local dealer) must have figured out a blade or baffle configuration that works. Something I hope to do with our 272