Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Puppy I call you the mower god for a reason and you are the mower GOD. I may raze you a little because some of your behavior can be childish as stated but you love to get down to the bottom of things when it comes to mowing so in that regard thanks for all the info on all the topics and machines.

In no way in hell for what you do is that 472 a match for the current Super, you are just playing around with a inferior product when it comes to mowing acreage like what you do at Puppies Berry Patch and you know it.

In the end we will probably see the new Super HD DFI parked in the Patch garage.
Im sure puppy will give us his opinion on build quality, fit and finish etc. I wouldnt jump the gun and call a product inferior. I have seen both machines in person and have posted my opinion. Let puppy post his. These both are industrial machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Puppy is the sail on the blades like the sail on my machine? It is hard to tell from that angle. If it is less then gravely installed medium or low lift blades for some reason. This is what the high lifts look like. I wish they were even higher to be honest.

This is the blade on the 472, which is definitely a lower lift blade than yours, all these little things make a difference. Do you have any thoughts as to why they would install a lower lift blade on this mower, could it be the lower lift is installed when mowers are to be used in the south?
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im sure puppy will give us his opinion on build quality, fit and finish etc. I wouldnt jump the gun and call a product inferior. I have seen both machines in person and have posted my opinion. Let puppy post his. These both are industrial machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
I like the Gravely very much and for alot of the cutting I do it would be better than a Super but there is no mower on the market made as well as the new Hustler HD.

That thing weighs 1600 pounds and there is no fat on it like a Scag or others, it's just a brick **** house period.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Bet you can't wait to reach double digits and see 10 candles on your mummies home made bd cake!
Posted via Mobile Device
At least this 10 year old knows a piece of Chit when he see's it, the 3100
Old 07-11-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is the blade on the 472, which is definitely a lower lift blade than yours, all these little things make a difference. Do you have any thoughts as to why they would install a lower lift blade on this mower, could it be the lower lift is installed when mowers are to be used in the south?
mag360's blades look just about like yours do on his 472, and he's in the north. I think you'd see much different results with high lift blades on the Gravely, and the front adjustable baffles set up for those conditions, or removed completely.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
The machine is designed and built extremely well. I really love the air ride seat, I like the simple clean look, I like the way it seems you can access everything very easily.

This is only a matter of personal preference, but I do not care for the external park brake, and this is due to the fact you are force to make more movement to accomplish locking the mower in position. With the Hustler once you put the steering levers into their set position the brake is locked. This is honestly a very nice feature, no thinking involved, get onto the mower, start the engine and drive off. With the Gravely you start the engine, find the hand-lever for the park brake, lower it, then move your hands back onto the steering lever to drive away. Not that big a deal, but believe me once a person uses the integrated brake system Hustler utilizes, it would be very aggravating to go back to the external brake.

The 472 weighs 1433 lbs, whereas the Super Z weighs 1600 lbs, this is a difference of 167 lbs many may not want, but this is also one of the factors that keeps the mower from moving as much when hitting small undulations, which in return makes for a more desirable ride.

The Super Z is 5" longer than the 472, and the exact same 5" shows up (I measured) between the tires. By the Super Z having a longer wheel base, this also adds to a better ride.

I would have thought the foot pan on the 472 may possibly have been higher, as well as the seat being somewhat higher. I measured, and the foot pan on both mowers is 15" from the concrete I was measuring from, and the seats were both close to 32" above the concrete level.

After measuring and finding out the operator is sitting the same off ground level tells me this makes no difference as to how much grass comes back onto the operator. I love the fact the Gravely keeps you much cleaner than the Hustler when mowing, and I believe this is totally due to deck design.

I am also thinking if the X-Factor deck had my Fusion blades it may very well help the cut somewhat, no proof, just my thoughts.

The Gravely is no where inferior in built to any mower of the same class. I could back into a tree or solid object hard enough to bend the back metal guard on the Hustler if traveling fast enough. The lazer cutting of the name in the rear guard of the Hustler has weakened the strength of what the metal was originally designed for.

The Gravely would make you kill yourself in an attempt to bend the rear guard, the pattern of lazer cut did not take away from the strength of the metal as was done with the Hustler. There is also a strapped addition around the top and near bottom of the rear guard on the Gravely, that looks twice as thick as the metal on the full rear plate of either mower.

Think of more things to check please let me know, I'm going to mow, it looks like it could rain any minute.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How do you like the vibration dampening of the rubber isolated platforms, rubber isolated engine cradle and rubber cushioned control handles? The first thing I noticed when operatong the 400 series was not the air seat it was actually the lack of vibration to the operator.

And the big question hyperdrive vs 5400?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked the 400 series over a few months back and really liked it, I believe it was harder to change the deck belt. I believe the dealer told me the deck belt was of a custom design specifically for Gravely? I thought the mower was well made but not in the class of the new Super.

For some of the cutting I do I would want the much beefier drive of the Hustler and in no way is the Gravely drive train as heavy duty at all, simpler yes.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I looked the 400 series over a few months back and really liked it, I believe it was harder to change the deck belt. I believe the dealer told me the deck belt was of a custom design specifically for Gravely? I thought the mower was well made but not in the class of the new Super.

For some of the cutting I do I would want the much beefier drive of the Hustler and in no way is the Gravely drive train as heavy duty at all, simpler yes.
5400's not heavy duty??!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
5400's not heavy duty??!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
There not nearly as heavy duty, when I looked into updating the Hustler drive I had some lengthy discussions with Hydro techs and they told me the minimum system they would rebuild is of like the Super Z HD quality.

All the other stuff on all the other Z's they called it disposable but said that was good because they were cheap and easy to fix you just do not fool with rebuilding them.

They told me the problem with the 5400 type style all in one drives was they did not hold much fluid so it got dirty and broke down much easier.

The system the Hustler HD uses is really what is needed to take these mowers to the next level, you could put 2 speed wheel motors on that setup and have a mower that would cut at like 16 or 18 MPH and then pull 1200 pounds worth of tow behind mowers behind it in low speed torque setting at 10 or 11 MPH torque mode and have a Z in a class by itself as far as productivity goes,

Hustler should have done that rather than the 104. That 104 thing will turn out to be a novelty item because it is.

On a Super HD what you get for the money is a real bargain because the drive is way better and does not cost that much more. Puppy just needs to put the Gravely seat on a Super.